Old 03-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Laborer

Default Engineering Bricks for the Arch?

OK next question...

On the Ephrem 2061 which I shall be using, the top of the arch forms the front of the vent. The chimney will sit on that, with some kind of thermal gasket. Therefore, I am undecided as to whether to use dense firebricks or engineering bricks for the arch. Either way I am planning to incorporate a 10mm thermal break between the arch and oven body, packed out with stove rope. The front wall of the enclosure will be built around the arch, and therefore I don't want it to get too hot, since it will be tiled. I would prefer the appearance of smooth engineering bricks for the arch, with matching bullnose bricks for the landing. The thing is, will they take the heat?
I've thought about a short firebrick arch, with a full-depth engineering brick arch in front of that, each with its own thermal break, but this is where the design gets out of hand. Any clues?
Old 03-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Engineering Bricks for the Arch?

I think your thinking to hard. I have no thermal break. Firebrick dome connected to firebrick flue chamber. My chamber is 1 full firebrick (~9") from inner arch to outer arch. The outer arch is ~4" think stone.

At full burn you can touch the outer arch and it's hardly hot. I think the hottest I measured the outside of the chimney vent firebrick was about 95deg F.

So unless I'm missing something there's an inner arch fire brick - some distance to allow the flue then an outer arch. I don't see why the outer arch can't be engineering brick. Especially if you have afire break.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:10 PM

Your entry gets hot. That said, any sort of brick should work. We've seen common brick entries in front of firebrick domes. Engineering brick is a UK term: I think it means a higher fired (harder and denser) red clay brick. Should work fine. The only material to worry about in this application is portland based concrete.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think it is the expansion of the inner oven creating pressure on the arch which is the greater problem, rather than the materials ability to withstand the heat. I still feel that a thermal gap filled with 6:1 vermicrete is a good solution.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Apprentice

I thought of that plus, I didn't trust my firebrick arch so I supported the chimney with Steel Lintels. The clay flue sits on the brick. The mistake I made was mortaring in the flue which I think caused it to crack (sounded like a fire cracker when it went).

I also left a gap between the decorative arch and the inner firebrick.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Engineering Bricks for the Arch?-chimneysupport.jpg  

Last edited by DaveW; 03-10-2011 at 03:06 PM.