Old 06-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Peasant

Default Duratech Chimney through roof peak

Hi all,

I am contemplating how to finish my oven. I am leaning towards doing a full 'house' style enclosure to match my home. From the get go, I have wanted to use a Duratech chimney setup for easy and durability. In researching these items I am not sure how one would run the chimney through the roof. My oven and chimney are centered on stand and would be centered on the peak of the roof. In the Duratech line of products I don't see a flashing system for doing this.

Admittedly I have no experience with this sort of thing. Do I need ot build a box off the roof top and then flash the chimney to that? Or is there another method? Pictures of what you have done would be appreciated.

thanks
Old 06-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Duratech Chimney through roof peak

See Dino's post #377.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/di...s-5883-38.html (Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts)

He has a cad drawing that you can use or modify to your needs and I'm sure he'd be flattered to have it used.. Again.

Chris
Old 06-22-2010, 04:57 AM
Peasant

excellent, thanks to the both of you
Old 06-22-2010, 05:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You need a double thickness flue pipe to prevent the unlikely possibility of setting fire to your roof from the hot pipe.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

DHS,

I used a Duratech system through a metal peaked roof:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/m...html#post30924 (My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure)

I cut the roofing material to within 1/8" of the chimney then used high heat caulk to seal it. I'm sure it's not to "code" but has worked really well (so far!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Apprentice

Hi DHS,

I didn't use a Duratech, but got a similar result with a 6" stainless inner and 10" galvanized outer and loose vermiculite in between.

I've got a flat roof on mine (sloping backwards a little) with tiles; I just formed a square of mortar (reinforced with chicken wire) around the chimney for a fairly quick and cheap solution.

Attached photo taken this morning in the rain - all seems OK so far.

Cheers,

Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Duratech Chimney through roof peak-chimney-design.jpg  

Old 06-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Peasant

thanks for the further input guys. Having seen what others have done, I feel confident I can move forward with my current plan and when the time comes create a 'joint' and flashing system of some sort to handle the through peak/ridge layout of the chimney.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I kind of boxed my chimney in with steel studs and cement board. You can get the idea of how it works here:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/dr...ven-633-2.html (Drake's 38" Oven)
Starting about post 73.

Drake

Old 06-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Serf

I poked my 8" Duratech right through the middle of the peak. My roofing choice was fibrous cement shakes over plywood decking (the only combustible theing in the entire oven. I kept the plywood 2" from the chimney and had a sheet metal shop make me a integrated flashing that snugs right down on the roof over most of the roofing. When I can figure out how to send a photo, I will.

Lee
Old 07-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Apprentice

I built a 12 x 12 form around ours and filled it with perlcrete, then stuccoed over the perlcrete. Its always cold to the touch.