Old 12-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Laborer

Default Dome finish - how about bricks again?

Was looking at a picture of Jamie Oliver's oven and it's finished with bricks, not a smooth render. I can only presume they are about 1" thick and they built what looks like an outer dome, and then probably used a waterproofing compound over the top (like Bondcrete).

So, has anyone done that? My oven is well insulated and has a 1" layer of vermicrete over that, and doesn't get even get warm to touch on that layer. Would another thin layer of bricks with 4:1:1 sand, portland and lime cement t to bond the bricks, with a waterproofing application (that you'd have to periodically reapply, I assume), be an option?
Attached Thumbnails
Dome finish - how about bricks again?-jamie-oliver-outer-brick-dome.jpg  
My build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dome finish - how about bricks again?

The outer shell only serves to weatherproof the oven and make it look attractive. Provided you fill any cracks to prevent water entry you are only limited by time. expense and weight. The outside does get dirty, mine at least, so I usually give it a coat of paint annually. An enclosure is probably a better solution but more expensive for both materials and time. Bricks should be fine.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

JT,

Check out Luis' oven. It's protected but he used full bricks.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/o...ures-1791.html (Oven pictures)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good find Les, I was about to link the same. I remembered Luis' oven myself. For 2 days I have been racking my brain trying to remember who's build it was...always a bridesmade I guess.

Personally, one of my all time favorite ovens. From an appeatance standpoint it is truly classic.

RT
Old 12-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
Good find Les, I was about to link the same. I remembered Luis' oven myself. For 2 days I have been racking my brain trying to remember who's build it was...always a bridesmade I guess.
That's funny RT - I did the same damn thing. I had emails but I deleted them some time back because I was going over the limit. I remembered the build was from Brazil - did a search, and his name jumped out. I love the brick he had, the curves are very cool...

Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Laborer

Thanks Les, RT and David, you have yet again given me ideas and practical advice.
PS: Last night was the first official oven party and the night was a huge success. I can now join the ranks of those who've built an oven and got the joy of using it. The young adults just loved coming up with their own pizza ideas and all having a go at peeling things in and out. That was after the slow cooked pork shoulder that I'd cooked earlier in the day. And now, it's Osso Buco in the warmth still from last night. I love this oven, and I haven't even finished it fully yet!
My build:
Old 12-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab49 View Post
Thanks Les, RT and David, you have yet again given me ideas and practical advice.
PS: Last night was the first official oven party and the night was a huge success. I can now join the ranks of those who've built an oven and got the joy of using it. The young adults just loved coming up with their own pizza ideas and all having a go at peeling things in and out. That was after the slow cooked pork shoulder that I'd cooked earlier in the day. And now, it's Osso Buco in the warmth still from last night. I love this oven, and I haven't even finished it fully yet!
Awesome! These oven's are fun to have. Enjoy!

Tags
dome, finish, finishing