Old 10-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Laborer

Default Designing a taller dome

I'll be moving to a new place soon which means building a new oven. It's sad to leave the current cob/brick oven I have, but I did screw up a part of the front, among other things. Lessons learned. I had built the oven to be taller than normal because I wanted to also be able to throw roasts or dutch ovens in there. I am reminded of some of the stuff I've read on here about Greek-style ovens. But there are some good rules of thumb I tried to generally follow even when I was abandoning the recommended height for pizza or bread. However, I wondered how the rules of thumb change for nonstandard heights.

I'm thinking my next oven may be 42" diameter at the smallest inside, and we might go all the way to 56". I try to get something upwards of like a 14" front to slide the larger of my dutch ovens in and out. It occurred to me if I increased my diameter that I might just get away with making a more normal pizza oven anyways What are the recommended proportions of door height to oven height again?

I don't think I ever asked but I wondered what are the proper ratios for chimney height to oven height/diameter/whatever. Generally I was worried about the chimney. I wasn't so sure where I should have placed it and kind of just improvised its size. I was also curious about how far forward the front should extend from the dome, factoring in nonstandard heights. I would figure a long front would do some to offset this.

It might be worth another thread, but I'm curious how I might design the door into things up front. It was too much of an afterthought here, but I'd rather make it built-in or otherwise robust so I can easily do indirect cooking/smoking overnight or bake bread during the day.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Designing a taller dome

Ovens are designed to a ratio of oven door height to oven ceiling height, the ratio is .62 or 62%.
Make the oven or door as big as you want it just keep the opposite to ratio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 10-20-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Journeyman

If it were my oven I would build it with as low a dome as possible and then build a door tall enough to fit your dutch oven. I would then build a double wall insulated metal insert that creates a smaller "standard" sized door inside of the oversized door. You could then use the insert at all times and have a functional pizza oven but remove it to fit your larger items in. A best of both worlds. If you want to cook Neapolitan pizza a hemispherical dome is already a negative aspect that you have to learn to work with, going even higher will be a real issue, especially with an oven as large as you are speaking. Going higher then hemispherical on a 42" oven is really off the charts high.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuboyje View Post
If you want to cook Neapolitan pizza a hemispherical dome is already a negative aspect that you have to learn to work with, going even higher will be a real issue, especially with an oven as large as you are speaking.
Don't know about higher domes, but at least hemispherical is not an issue while doing Neapolitan style pizza. At least I haven't had to do any special tricks while cooking them in my 46". Just put the pie in and take it out when it's ready after 90 seconds.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Laborer

Yeah the current tall dome I have can do Neapolitan already. It's not a problem. I suppose it can't do it for very long before needing more fire though.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Journeyman

Good luck with it! To each their own. It's not something I am looking to debate, but I am 100% positive I could not create the type of Neapolitan pizza I am after in an oven with a 24"+ dome.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

What exactly is the advantage of a tall dome? So long as the door is big enough to fit anticipated crockery, the goal should always be the lowest dome possible to work with that door height shouldn't it?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
the goal should always be the lowest dome possible to work with that door height shouldn't it?
I have to agree, I made my roof as low as possible to keep the heat closer to the food.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Apprentice

Maybe the difference between hemispherical and lower dome profile is that I keep the fire going on on the side while doing Neapolitan pizza and with lower dome profile you could let the fire die?

Other than that I can't imagine what's the gain, unless you're going for burnt top.

Anyway I think the topic is interesting. Logically the lower dome will get the fire closer to top of anything you cook. So it should get more heat.
How much that more is, is another matter. After all the height difference seems to be only around 2"-4" for 42" oven.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Normally the low dome will have a 9" sailor or soldier course at the base, then dome from there, so the ceiling is even flatter. For a 42" the height would be around 15", for a Forno, 21". 6" does not seem like a lot, but it makes a fair amount of difference for cooking Neapolitan style true 60-90 second pizzas.

42" with 15" ceiling:
Attached Thumbnails
Designing a taller dome-100212genesoven2.jpg