Old 08-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 18
Default Curing and stucco question

We have been building progressively hotter fires each day this week, last night getting up to 600 degrees F with no cracks (repaired one in dome after earlier mistake of firing to hot to fast, the repair is holding well with no smoke coming out) . Today we hope to get to 700. This has all been done pre insullation but the dome has been tarped when it drizzeld during the week. Tomorrow we plan on putting 4 to 5 inches of ceramic fiber blanket insullation on the dome and around the vent area, cover with chicken wire and then a coat of stucco over the insullation and chicken wire. We are only going to do one coat of the stucco just to cover the insullation until we get around to covering the dome with regular brick as a finish, which with our track record could take a while to complete (into year 3 of build LOL). So here's our question, given that we're using around 5 inches of insullation does anyone think we will need to wait for the stucco to cure before we start firing the oven up again? If so how long should we wait? We're praying we don't need to wait to much if at all since we're dying to start cooking in it. Any thoughts most appriciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:26 AM
texman's Avatar
Master Builder
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Amarillo, Texas
Posts: 684
Default Re: Curing and stucco question

If you have thoroughly cured the oven, then the blanket and stucco can be added and cooking can happen. The moisture in the stucco will cure independent of the oven since it is not covered and is separated from the dome by the blanket layers. The heat of the oven will only slightly change the outer temps where the stucco is applied. The key is making sure the dome is cured before blanket is applied. Cook away !
My Progress:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 18
Default Re: Curing and stucco question

Texman, thanks for the great info! Hopefully we'll be enjoying our 1st pizza soon!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:13 PM
david s's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Townsville, Nth Queensland,Australia
Posts: 5,159
Default Re: Curing and stucco question

I'd be placing one layer of blanket on then throw some plastic sheeting over the dome while firing. If you get condensation on the underside then you are still pushing out water. When all the water has gone place the other blanket layers on. It is better to eliminate the water before applying any stucco IMO.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Curing before final insulation plus rain? Abouna Firing Your Oven 14 08-01-2012 07:40 AM
A&M's 42inch Pompeii waynespizzaworld Pompeii Oven Construction 28 07-22-2011 07:35 PM
insulate before curing waynespizzaworld Pompeii Oven Construction 21 06-14-2011 12:38 AM
Oven Curing ErFornaio Newbie Forum 2 07-12-2009 06:30 PM
Sequence of build and curing fires jon bell Pompeii Oven Construction 2 03-31-2009 02:49 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC