Old 12-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Apprentice

Default Covering lumps with stucco?

I had originally envisioned finishing my oven with an enclosure, but now, in part for aesthetic reasons and partly for space and view-preservation reasons, I'm thinking of doing an igloo style as well. So I'm trying to figure out how to go about stucco.

My biggest puzzle is how to deal with the fact that the insulated dome is pretty lumpy. In particular I added an extra inch of blanket on the top because I had a scrap that was the right size and that seemed like the place that needed the most insulation. Can I fix this with stucco, by just adding more render to the low spots and less to the high spots?

I know one way of fixing lumps is to have a layer of vermicrete, but a) I don't feel like I need the insulation with 4-5" of blanket in most places, b) vermicrete sounds like a pain and most importantly c) I don't think I have enough room between the oven and my deck to apply vermicrete and stucco. How thin can you do vermicrete?

Related question: I tied down my blanket with rebar wire. If I were to add a bunch more rebar wire, would that be a substitute for chicken wire as a base for the render? Or rather, since I'm pretty sure that in theory the answer to that is yes, would the amount of wire required be insane and way too much work?

-Ryan

Last edited by rsandler; 12-03-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Covering lumps with stucco?

I don't think you want to use chicken wire for your stucco. Get lath. Chicken wire will rust and it will eventually bleed thru your stucco. For the same reason, rebar wire is not going to work either.

As for the vermicrete - I don't think you need a coat of render, but there may be other opinions. AFAIK, you can apply your scratch coat right over your lath/insulation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
I don't think you want to use chicken wire for your stucco. Get lath. Chicken wire will rust and it will eventually bleed thru your stucco. .
You sure about that? I've seen a LOT of houses with wire nailed to the paper that get a stucco finish. I know from experience that forming the lath into a dome is like playing with a box of razor blades.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm not a fan of forming chicken wire in to a dome shape either. I do agree that forming lathe into a sphere is tough. I used 1/2" galvanized mesh, cut in isoscles trapezoid shapes. But, I wouldn't recomend that either. I think it was David S. who recomended fiber reinforcement for complex curves on stucco.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Apprentice

Leaving aside the question of how to provide a base for stucco (although I appreciate the input on that as well), my real question hear is how to get stucco to make a smooth dome shape on top of very lumpy insulation. Assuming that either my stucco was full of fibers or my wire/mesh/lathe base was in the shape of the final surface, can I just pile extra render into the low places without issue, or would that cause problems?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I woud use vcrete/pcrete to even out the lumps and valleys. (Not necesarily for insulation, just as a means of getting back to round) I used a rotating form to get back to a true sphere. Others have used just their eye to true it back up. From what I've seen of others builds who just used their eye, that technique works great

Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Assuming blanket insulation, what you DON'T want to do is compress it. If I used blanket insulation and wanted to smooth it, I would would mix an 8 or 10 to 1 perlite/portland mix and use that to get the dome smoothed to an acceptable degree for final stuccoing.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandler View Post
my real question hear is how to get stucco to make a smooth dome shape on top of very lumpy insulation.
I went this route - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/le...d-4207-21.html (Les' Build) #95

I then rendered it with standard mortar and covered it with an acrylic stucco that had my color.

Last edited by Les; 12-03-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Apprentice

Sounds like vermiculite/perlite concrete is the way to go then. How thin can I make it in the "hill"areas without worrying about cracking, assuming an 8 or 10:1 mix like Tscarborough suggests?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't think the vermiculite will crack since it's pretty much separated by nature. I went the rebar / wire route because I didn't trust putting anything on the blanket.