Old 09-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Peasant

Default Counter Top surface for pizza prep.

I was curious - what type of material does everyone have for a working surface for pizza preparation? I was considering either polished concrete or a polished limestone. I have made a couple of concrete bar tops using Buddy Rhodes concrete mix. The first one I made turned out great. The second so-so. Has anyone done the Cheg Method? Or does anyone have any other concrete recipes that have resulted in a good product?

Tom
Old 10-01-2008, 03:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Counter Top surface for pizza prep.

Hi Tom,
I use and have used a slab of polished 1" thick granite for the preparation of the dough and then placed onto an aluminium for insertion into the oven.
My new outdoor kitchen will streamline this as the preparation area is directly beside the oven and the pizzas will be assembled on the peel and slipped directly onto the brick hearth, unless as my wife prefers, cooked on a pan or foil.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Counter Top surface for pizza prep.

I just ran into a length of meganite 100% acrylic countertop surface. Had it cut it to 5'.
The website states it's NSF rated and anti bacterial. It cleaned up well and is smooth as can be.
MEGANITEô is an acrylic solid surface material that is used for countertops and other surfacing applications. Aetna Plywood, the leading distributor of wood and laminate products in the Midwest, has added a new solid surface product to its line-up, c
I'll test it out on the 31st. Halloween Beggars Night. For some odd reason, my house fills up with wayward ghouls and drunkards clamoring for pizza & beer.
A great many I never met. Months later, I'll run into one somewhere and they tell me they have been to my house. I figure about 40+ doughs this time.
Hopefully, someone will be sober enough to take pictures this time.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

A friend of mine gave me a piece of stainless steel 1 mm x 4 ft x 1 1/2 ft. It is very useful because we use it for the mobile oven or sit it on the table at home. Very portable, Easy to clean, roll out dough cut food etc.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Laborer

We had the largest company in Canada selling concrete countertops (sold it last year)and they certainly have their advantages. However, I would recommend stainless steel for heavy food preparation, when dealing with acids (tomatoes), extreme heat fluctuations and sharp tools. Having said that, an off-cut of granite or marble would work well (soapstone, limestone and slate are too soft and more porous). I don't think you mentioned being mobile, but if you were, food inspectors prefer s/s and the weight of concrete would be a disadvantage.
Hope this helps.
Karen
Old 11-04-2008, 03:36 AM
Apprentice

I have been thinking about this a lot while designing my outdoor kitchen and even the landing on the pizza oven part of that.

I still may do polished concrete of some kind, but am leaning towards just shelling out the money for granite for at least one prep area. I do pizza dough, pasta dough, and pie crusts on my granite island in the house right now, and I really do love working on that surface when dealing with any dough.

Travis
Old 11-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you want granite, check with a cabinet shop locally to see if the place that fabricates their tops sells offcuts and cutouts. You could save some $ that way, even if you don't get much choice in the granite color.

I have a cutout I'm going to use from a solid surface countertop. I just need to polish the edges a bit (one's broken a little) so I don't have to worry about catching things on them and put a foot on the edge that broke so it won't rock. I'm all for repurposing stuff, and I already have several solid surface trivets from other jobs! I knew there was a reason I kept that piece.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Apprentice

Very good idea Elizabeth! I have at least 3 different granite places close to me that would be worth talking to. One I have dealt with, when I had a piece of marble that I wanted cut, edged with an ogie, and polished, and they let me get that work done by one of their employees in his off time and I paid him directly I like those folks, and if I tell them what I am doing, they may well think it is cool enough to cut me a deal!

Travis
Old 11-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Serf

Has anyone checked on blue stone? DIY used it on a outside project, I thought it looked cool with the chipped edge. The question is will it work for a food prep. site?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Laborer

NANDJ
We are a dealer for Pa. Bluestone and regular bluestone I would not reccomend because it can be on the rough porous side. Just today I ordered myself a piece of honed bluestone to try. At the quarry they take the regular bluestone and hone the top like a piece of granite. I will let you know how it works out.