Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Master Builder

Default Concrete counter sealer

Does anyone have any good suggestions for sealing a concrete counter? The web is filled with conflicting opinions about penetrating, epoxy, waxes, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Concrete counter sealer

I can only speak to what I've used on my indoor worktops, and that is the Cheng water based sealer+ an occasional coat of their wax and a buff. I have no idea how it would do outdoors, but I like it fairly well for inside. Really, I think it mostly depends on what you want the look to be and what degree of finish you have on your surface to begin with. A less finely ground surface isn't going to take on or retain much shine regardless of the product you use vs. someting that's been ground down to 3000 grit that will be very shiny all on its own.
For me, part if the attraction of concrete is that it is somewhat "living" and has a great deal of character, and the Cheng sealer is good in that regard in that it isn't plastic-y looking. BUT it doesn't make the tops impervious to everything, either so they still acquire a bit of patina from wear. Some people want their concrete tops to look pristine and super perfectly shiny, like granite, which, IMO, mostly defeats the cool factor of concrete not to mention that it takes a LOT more maintenence, and I would imagine that outdoors, it would be a nightmare.

I would get something thats made for concrete countertops if you intend to have food touch them. If you aren't using it as a food handling surface, there are lots more options, and your local ready-mix supply store is a good place to go.
There are food-safe epoxies, but I wouldn't use that just because I think it would have a tendency to separate from the concrete and bubble or peel over time. If you go the coating-type route, make sure to get something that's UV stabilized or it will turn yellow and look yucky.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Concrete counter sealer

I've tried water based, solvent based, and wax. The water based it is good as any , and is easier to work. On counters and tables I like to recoat every spring