Old 04-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Serf

Default Concrete board as outer structure over Casa Oven?

Ok, I'm new here but think I have the part about building a hearth down. I'm looking at getting a Casa 90 or 110 oven. I want to finish it with a square "superstructure", that that has a hip style roof that terminates at the chimney. If I build a Durock cement board box around the casa, and fill the space with vermiculite and finish the durock with stucco, would this be a good/effective insulator, and would it be durable?

A picture of my idea is here:
Picasa Web Albums - nikko - Pizza Oven

Last edited by nikko; 04-08-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Concrete board as outer structure over Casa Oven?

That should work fine, although for the sake of simplicity you may want to take your flue straight up from the vent, rather than tilt it back to the center of the hip roof.

Speaking of hip roofs, some of our members have found the construction of hip roofs chalenging. A simple peaked shape with gables may save you some hair pulling.

And yes, loose vermiculite fill should work fine, as long as you have a minimum of four inches between the exterior of the oven and the inner edge of the concrete board. It has a tendency to leak out from surprisingly small cracks, so you want it pretty well sealed.

I'm not a stucco guy, but I think that stucco on the roof will be subject to water staining. You may want to think about another roof treatment like slates or tiles.

And why does the sketch-up guy wear a tee shirt over a long sleeve shirt?
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete board as outer structure over Casa Oven?-cement-board.jpg  

Last edited by dmun; 04-07-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Nikko,

I think you have it right. In fact, I like your idea so much, that's how I did my oven. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete board as outer structure over Casa Oven?-img_0337.jpg   Concrete board as outer structure over Casa Oven?-img_0351.jpg   Concrete board as outer structure over Casa Oven?-img_0365.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Geeze, dmun cracked a joke! I knew it was in there somewhere!

The man wears a t-shirt because he has no eyes and can't see that the fashion is outdated.

-
Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post

Cuz he has fashion sense that we don't have.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 04-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Those are the Gucci line of WFO extra long gloveless gloves
Old 04-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Somebody add an eye or sunglasses to this guy, kind of creepy having a truly blank stare on his face.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Serf

Quote:
That should work fine, although for the sake of simplicity you may want to take your flue straight up from the vent, rather than tilt it back to the center of the hip roof.
Yeah, I tried to depict that in my drawing, but my 3d modeling skills are lacking. I planned on the hip to be more sloped from the back to front, and the front being near vertical.
Quote:
Speaking of hip roofs, some of our members have found the construction of hip roofs chalenging. A simple peaked shape with gables may save you some hair pulling.
Yeah, good point. I'm also liking the gabled "cabin style" ovens I've seen. I may make a cabin, but still use cement board instead of plywood/osb.
Quote:
And yes, loose vermiculite fill should work fine, as long as you have a minimum of four inches between the exterior of the oven and the inner edge of the concrete board. It has a tendency to leak out from surprisingly small cracks, so you want it pretty well sealed.
The red silicone fire sealant was what I was planning on the inside joints.
Quote:
I'm not a stucco guy, but I think that stucco on the roof will be subject to water staining. You may want to think about another roof treatment like slates or tiles.
Another good point. Slates would look nice.
Quote:
Google = Hipsters!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I did a similar finish (but with a flat roof). Note that I used an insulating blanket and loose vermiculite.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Serf

As long as the subject came up about moving the chimney flue to the center of the oven. I have some conflicts with my WFO I am to the hearth stage right now. It was my intent to use the simpson double flue with the 30* angles to kick the chimney back to clear some timber framing,and the eves. The front of the oven sits under a patio. But when I went to the simpson graphs to calc out the depth to height ratio the roof line would be extremely high before the flue would straighten out to go up. So I am considering rolling the flue over top of the oven according to some pictures I've seen in an sometimes referred to site.

MHA News - 2006 Meeting - Backyard Oven with Peter Moore

I believe its the 2006 MHA annual gathering and about 2/3-3/4 of the way down they show this style of flue that would allow me to keep a lower profile on my oven. I hope this was the appropriate place to ask this...thanks