Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tscarborough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Serf

Default Chimney Draft Issue

Just installed a 47" Modular oven in a trailer. The Door opening is 22"x 13" to the top of the arch. If I do the math its 286 square inch opening minus whatever the arch takes up. I used a 36" tall 6" insulated chimney. From what I gather the chimney should be about 10-15% of the opening 6" chimney is 28.27 square inches.

With all that said I am having issues with the Draft. I have a good deal of smoke coming out of the front. Mind you I am burning a small fire at the moment, still curing right now. I also do not have a rain cap on so I'm not sure if the wind is causing issues. Any ideas if when the oven runs hotter the heat will help increase the draft or if I should add another foot of chimney on??
Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Chimney Draft Issue

1. New, wet ovens are notoriously smokey
2. A 6" pipe is way too small IMO for a 47" oven.The 10% rule might be OK for draw once the oven is pretty hot, but it is inadequate at start up, when you are trying to pull the flame sideways. Should use 15% of oven opening as a min IMO.
3. You could increase the draft by adding more height, but as your oven is mobile you'll need to make it removable.

Suggest you keep firing to see if it's still a problem after about 10 pizza temp fires.
Also try only minimal addition of fuel at start up.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Light a small fire directly under the flue to warm it up first.
Gulf likes this.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Serf

Need to get the flu hot to create the vacuum. Also our oven when we were seasoning it was (wet) smoky. But its definately drawing great now. Our flu though is substantially wider.

When starting a fire in a seasoned oven do the majority of you create a "rager" in there. I notice that with the fires we are building we don't burn off all the soot in the dome. We definately burn it off in the center where we start the fire and to whatever side we push the coals to, but there is portion of the oven that still has black soot on the ceiling. Is this good/normal?

« Doors | Copper Dome »