Old 04-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Serf

Default Chimney in back of oven

How hard to build and how effective would a chimney that angled to the rear of the oven after it exits the vent. I am trying to get the chimney further away from the front of the oven, because the front of the oven is going to be right up against a covered porch. I don’t want to have the chimney taller then the roof of that porch. So I need the chimney to be 10’ away from the porch roof. Any ideas? Thanks. Weaselorlando
Old 04-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Chimney in back of oven

The chimney type you are talking about is known as a squirrel tail for obvious reasons. It I believe was used by dutch settlers to this country. I know of a youtube video of a 3or4 day build of such an oven you might want to search it to see for yourself. Ive often thought of redirecting the exhaust gasses over the dome to increase heat absorbtion similar in concept to masonary heaters.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Master Builder

Traditional ovens in Naples are built that way - there was some talk earlier on this forum whether that was part of the VPN designation. I've seen a restaurant with an aggressive horizontal travel for a chimney. If this is against a porch cover attached your house, you need to verify what the maximum angle allowable is for fire code. I'm not sure, but 30 degrees sounds familiar, hopefully someone here can verify.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:35 AM

If you are working to code, your flue tile should not be more than 30 degrees off vertical. Also, the top of your chimney should be 24 inches above any structure within 10 feet.

The "squirrel tail" oven was designed to use flue heat to heat the oven. I think that this, like the "traditional" neopolitan flue placement is faulty because once the fire dies down the draft through the flue will also serve to cool off the oven. This might be less of a concern if you never did any retained heat cooking, but there is still the matter of flue angle: The thirty degree angle is the most that a flue cleaning brush can navigate.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:48 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

I read in the Simpson Duravent installation guide that two sets of 30º angles (four elbows total) are allowed by code and that the maximum run between elbows is 72". You can find that here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/duratech.pdf

Having said that, like Maver I have seen pizza oven vents in restaurants that run sideways. I would also note that the air that is exhausted by your oven is very very hot.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by james; 04-17-2007 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:41 AM
Serf

Thanks for the replies. It doesn’t sound very promising. I am on a trip right now, but when I get home, I will post a photo of my proposed instillation site, and see if you guys have any recommendations. Thanks. Weaselorlando
Old 05-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Serf

How effective would it be to place the vent and chimney at the reat of the oven? would the oven still 'breathe'?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSWolffe View Post
How effective would it be to place the vent and chimney at the reat of the oven? would the oven still 'breathe'?
Don't know how well they work but you can see details build pictures of one built in Las Vegas here.
Argentinean Campo Oven - A Masterpiece
Old 05-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

The Argentinean oven is definitely a regional style of wood-fired oven. The part of the design that I don't understand is that if you want a fire in the oven for higher heat cooking, you have to have the chimney vent in the back of the dome open to give the smoke somewhere to go -- there isn't a vent outside the front of the oven. It seems like this would work well for retained heat cooking, when the vent is closed, but not for other types of cooking where you want to use the heat of the fire.

We have members with that type of oven, and the empanada sound great.
James

Last edited by james; 05-29-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Serf

MHA News - 2006 Meeting - Backyard Oven with Peter Moore This link shows one way to get chimney to the back