Old 10-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Apprentice

Default can I cure the oven without a vent landing/chimney?

I have cured for a week with an electric hotplate set at 225 with insulation plugging the arch,(it felt like moist air every time I stuck my hand in) but have not built my vent landing, chimney area( ie: anything but the dome proper), Then I left it to our locally dry weather for another week. The hotplate broke, and I would kind of like to build some "curing fires" in it now, if advisable. I would not do this if the anchor plate and everything under it were built, as this would presumably direct the curing fire heat directly toward my 10 ft plus roof of my outdoor kitchen. But, I suspect, that with dome only currently, the heat/smoke will easily diffuse before gathering in my roof. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tom
Old 10-16-2010, 03:36 PM

Default Re: can I cure the oven without a vent landing/chimney?

Your curing fires are by definition small smokey fires. I'd wait to vent it if you don't want to get smoke gathering under the roof. Besides, if you build your landing/transition out of masonry, you are going to need to cure that too.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: can I cure the oven without a vent landing/chimney?

So I guess I should fix the hotplate, cure with that till the chimney build, then start the real cure? Sounds like patience, but good. Thanks