Old 02-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Can Duratech vent be shortened, trimmed?

Does anyone know if the 8" Duratech vent pipe can be trimmed with tin snips and still be attached to the anchor plate (or rain cap, depending which side is trimmed)? I'm concerned buying a 36" hieght might not be enough but want to know if I can trim down a 48" length if I'm wrong.
Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 02-04-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:09 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Can Duratech vent be shortened, trimmed?

No. It has ends that enclose and seal the insulation. The pipe ends are threaded to sccrew into the next section or anchor plate to prevent heat escape. I would imagine that cutting the vent tube would create a fire hazard. Make sure you order the right size. I would error on the side of getting a pipe that is too long. More length gives better smoke draw.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

How big was your oven again? I have a 36, and I used a 36 inch long 6 inch diameter pipe. No problem with draw, but I think with a larger oven you'd need a larger diameter AND longer length.

SSlandry is right about the threading. I wouldn't have cut my pipe under any circumstances- when you get it you'll see why. It's double walled with blanket inside.

Go ahead and get the 48 if you're worried and you've built a 42. The extra length will be fine. For scale, you can look at my avatar- that's a 36 oven with a 36 pipe!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks, I just didn't realize what the pipe looked like but I certainly will just order finished length. Yes Elizebeth, my oven is 42" so I'll order the 48" pipe. Since igloo style was on-again-off-again, I could use the longer length since I'm building a gabled roof over the oven and it has to go thru the peak of it.
Thanks, Dino ...(that's "Apprentice" Dino now, I was tired of Laboring)

My Oven Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Dino,

I used the 36" Duratech on my 42" oven with gabled roof. Feel free to look at my pics to see how it worked out.

My roof is a 7/12 pitch (30 degree slope). If you want to go steeper you might consider the 42". I like the way mine turned out.

Updated!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Ken, I checked out your web album and I'm surprised. I would not have thought that was just 36" tall. I like the way it looks! And your proportions look good for the roof hieght, oven base size and vent. I'll reveiw it some more tonight and probably copy your design some.
PS: do you know how many inches your vent pipe is exposed above the roof?
Thanks again, Dino

My Oven Thread

Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 02-05-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dino,

You may want to go with a steeper pitch on the roof - with all that snow that you get

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.