Old 07-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Apprentice

Default Brick arch help please?

Im trying to figure out the brick arch I want to build around the entrance to my oven. I bought some new red brick and my wife didnt like it so Ive to get some reclaimed bricks. Thats not a problem. I have and angle grinder with a diamond blade and I might be able to borrow a consaw.
1. Do most people build arches without cutting brick or is it essential to cut bricks to build a 'nice' arch?
2. If I want to build an arch with the minimum of cutting is it simply a matter of choosing a larger radius to achieve a gentel curve or is cutting essential to building a 'beautiful' arch?

Thanks

R
Old 07-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Brick arch help please?

The smaller the arch, the better it looks to cut wedges, as a rule. However, I didn't on my little arch, and even though I have big wedges of mortar, I like the look.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
The smaller the arch, the better it looks to cut wedges, as a rule. However, I didn't on my little arch, and even though I have big wedges of mortar, I like the look.
Ditto - the only cutting I did was to shape my keystone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:00 AM
Apprentice

Thanks guys!
Having checked out your arches I going to build with the minimum of cuts, hopefully just the keystone. I'm confident that it can look great this way, like yours do.

Rich

Last edited by RichC; 07-27-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:22 AM
Journeyman

I have a total of 5 arches in my oven! Just like the others who commented, only the keystone was cut for the Pizza oven arches. For my wood storage arches there was no cutting - I used spacers to hold the bricks in place so they were equidistant from each other. After the mortar was in place and had set for an hour or so - then I pulled the spacers out.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Journeyman

I didn't even use a keystone....I used straight bricks all across. I built a Styrofoam form that supported the bricks while the mortar set. Then removed the form.

My mortar joints are tapered, rather than the bricks. see attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Brick arch help please?-brick-arch.jpg  
Old 08-17-2014, 03:24 AM
Apprentice

Arch complete and looks OK despite being slightly off square(dont think anyone will notice). Im happy with it anyway and thanks for the help guys. I only had to cut the keystone. Just has to be pointed now!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi

we can build arches or we can build arches. It is all in the building as too what we want to achieve. I went for perfection. I.e minimal gaps in all bricks.

what works works if we want something that just works ok if w want perfection then we get perfection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:18 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Arch complete and looks OK despite being slightly off square(dont think anyone will notice
A semi circular arch cannot be "offsquare". How can a curved thing be off square? You must be hallucinatin'
Old 08-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
A semi circular arch cannot be "offsquare". How can a curved thing be off square? You must be hallucinatin'
By off square, I mean the top keystone area doesn't rise plumb from the face of the base bricks. If I put a flat surface against the face of it the top few bricks wouldnt touch it.