Old 06-28-2013, 07:32 AM
Apprentice

Default year old portland

I purchased portland to make home brew last August, and I'm just now getting to the point where I need to use it. The bag was in my garage over the winter, and it's still mostly powdery, with lots of 1-3mm granules. I made a batch with it, and the bricks stuck well. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use it after sitting for so long?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: year old portland

If it's powdery it's ok. If it's lumpy it's not. Moisture from the air can make it go off if it has ben sitting for ages.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

For the sake of $10 go buy a new bag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkramer View Post
I purchased portland to make home brew last August, and I'm just now getting to the point where I need to use it. The bag was in my garage over the winter, and it's still mostly powdery, with lots of 1-3mm granules. I made a batch with it, and the bricks stuck well. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use it after sitting for so long?
I took one of those tile laying for dummies classes a few years back. The instructor implied that grout and pretty much all portland based products have a shelve life. I don't know how true that was as I have used really old grout and it seemed to work just fine. But... if you have any lumps in the cement - just toss it. The cost is squat.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Portland cement is hygroscopic. Even if it is still powder it may be no good. Trash it, especially if it has been sitting on the floor.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:06 AM
Apprentice

What about the lyme? Any shelf life on that? I kept them both on a plastic sheet in my garage in NY.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Unless the lime was in an air tight container trash that too. The only good lime that old is lime putty sitting under water...but we won't go down that road in here right, T?

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin