Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

I have been following this forum for over a year now, savaging materials and supplies. I am building a 42" corner build and I have to give credit to all the members for their ideas and innovations. I started last May but was shut down due to shoulder surgery but I am hard at it again now. I just stripped the forms off my build. Thanks for all the inspiration of you WFOs

Russell

Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/w...tah-17761.html (Wood Fired Beehive in Utah)
Picassa picture log https://plus.google.com/photos/10287...1037496/albums
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-21-forming-hearth-5.4.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-23b-rebar-done-5.11.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-25a-pulled-forms-5.18.12.jpg  

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 11-21-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added link to build
Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Looking great. I'm in Sandy. Where are you? You can look at my build here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/co...s-16434-8.html (Continued Design Ideas)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Damn Russel,

I wished I wasn't one of the pioneers on this site. When I jumped in we were just hoping the thing would stand. What you and others are doing is just incredible! Good luck with the rest of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the compliments,

Clofgreen - Watch you build while my recovering from my wing surgery this winter. If I remember correctly you got your fire brick from the Geneva steel mill too. I live in the Aves, might take you up on a visit when I get stumped.

Les - Without the pioneers the next generation cannot move forward. My build is a combination of several innovations and trials and errors of the members of this forum, too many to name, but thanks all.

I have placed and cut my floor brick. It was somewhat of a challenge, since the brick I got was high duty surplus (but new) from an old steel mill in Orem Utah. The price was right, $0.35 each but the draw back is they are hard as a rock to cut and they are all tapered (5.25" top, 5.75" bottom, 3" thick and 9 to 14" long). After much head scratching I was able to do a floor pattern without too may long seams.

Will post more pics soon

Russell
Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Apprentice

Russell,

I too salvaged my bricks from Geneva, what a find !! I used a large brick/block saw and they cut pretty well. My design is a barrel design. It works well. I used the large bricks, 4 1/2X8X18 or so for my floor and a bunch of smaller tapers for my barrrel. I even found 4 half arches for my openings. I am in Bountiful if you ever get this way. Our oven is not fancy but it works well. Keep us all posted.

Derk
Old 05-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Derk,

Once a Sanford and Son always a Sanford and Son. I remember you fire brick arch during your build.

I am planning on using "home brew" picking up all may materials this past week. Any feedback on best ratios for our area?

My fire brick floor insulation is two tier materials, 2" foam glass on hearth (since it is water prove with 1 1/2" cal silicate blocks (less fragile than foam glass) over foam glass. Holding off cutting the foam glass and Cal Si until I have the exact shape of the floor dialed in. But getting close.

If anyone needs earlier pics of my base, I did make a photo log from ground breaking to current. Not to say it is the best way, just documentation of my build.

Russell
Old 05-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Laborer

I used the classic 3:1:1:1 (sand : fireclay : portland cement : hydrated lime) and it worked perfectly. I have extra brew materials if you want them.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Derk/Clofgreen,

There has been some discussion on this forum about high duty bricks getting too hot to cook pizza, what has been you experience so far with the Geneva brick since they are in your builds? Can't worry about it too much the brick I have is the brick I use.

Thanks,

Russell
Old 05-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Laborer

No problems here. The oven cooks fantastic pizzas. I posted an example on page 15.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Layout the floor, made an IT(based on jcg31's model) and cut the floor.

Clofgreen - thanks for the feedback on the brick temperatures, pies look great.

Off to making the form for the inner arch, going to use Karanga Dude and GianniF's example of a taper arch as my guidance for my build.

Russell
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-26-brick-layout-5.18.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-27-building-5.19.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-28b-hearth-brick-cut-5.20.12.jpg