Old 10-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Laborer

Default What type of mortar for the outside brick wall

I like the look of the brick igloo so i have decided to make another outside wall over the igloo. I will place a blanket over the igloo, leave a 4"space to be filled with perlite, and fabricate an outside wall using the bricks in the photo. What type of mortar should i use for the outside bricks M,S,N?

I also want to mortar the round rocks to the cement tubes and was thinking about which mortar or cement to use for them.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
What type of mortar for the outside brick wall-img_0727.jpg   What type of mortar for the outside brick wall-img_0728.jpg   What type of mortar for the outside brick wall-img_0729.jpg  

See My Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: What type of mortar for the outside brick wall

I'd use a standard spec mix mortar, no need for Heat Stop here. With the blanket and additional loose fill perlite, I don't expect any heat to make it to the oustide bricks- especially if you wrap that blanket twice.

See ALL of my pictures here:

Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Personally, I use either S or N for everything exterior. The N is a bit more sticky and seems to sag less on virtical surfaces. I used it for a skim coat (1/4" - 1/2") over the vermicrete to give me a more weather resistant and smooth surface before the mosaic tile. I also used it for my tile mortar and grout on the entire oven, including the slate tile base. The rest of my exterior kitchen was done with Type S, agin used for both the mortar and grout. I used both porcelain and slat tile for that area(it has been almost 7 yrs since I completed) and not a single grout line crack, chip, or anything. Other than sealer about every 2 yrs to resist stains on the countertops, I have not touched it.

RT
Old 10-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Master Builder

Very cool rocks. Where did those come from?

dusty
Old 10-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Laborer

Thanks everbody.

Went with the S mortar

Dusty, the beach rocks are from Mexico. They really are amazing when wet.
I bought them from a local garden supply

See My Photos:

My thread: