Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Apprentice

Default WFO progress in Kansas

Well, it's been a while since I've checked in here, and it's been a while since I've actually gotten to work on the oven. I got one more ring up and after looking at the pictures, it seems kinda crooked. But I felt like I was getting the hang of it towards the end of the ring.
I got the arch done a few weeks ago, but it got really cold and it came off in three places, so I got that repaired and the other ring up today. Now, the part that'll be hard will be where the arch joins the dome.
But I'll think about that when I get to it....
WFO progress in Kansas-s7300001.jpg

WFO progress in Kansas-s7300002.jpg

WFO progress in Kansas-s7300003.jpg

WFO progress in Kansas-s7300004.jpg

WFO progress in Kansas-s7300005.jpg

There's a few more, so I'll send them along...
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: WFO progress in Kansas

And here are the last two.
The weather warmed up a lot today, so I took advantage of the warm breezy air - and all the disgusting gnats and "lady"bugs everywhere! Yeah - Kansas - as soon as the weather is nice enough to be out, there are bugs of all sorts - ick! At the end of summer it was BAD mosquitoes. But they're gone now. It's just swarms of gnats and beetles. You don't even want to open your mouth!

WFO progress in Kansas-s7300006.jpg

WFO progress in Kansas-s7300007.jpg
Old 10-20-2009, 04:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
just swarms of gnats and beetles
all the more reason to hurry up and get a fire going to keep all the bugs away !!!!
Quote:
Now, the part that'll be hard will be where the arch joins the dome.
I thought that would be tough too.... When I got to that point and I had it right in front of me it worked out pretty easy.. easier to do when you can see it...

looks like your doing great so far,, so dont worry

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Apprentice

Thanks, Mark.
I worked a little on it today - "rigged" the area between the arch and dome (only on one side) - Am I correct in thinking that the mortar, made up of fireclay (same thing as firebricks are made of?), sand (which melts at the high heat?) lime and portland cement, once it's fired up enough, will be as good as fire bricks? I don't mean to say that I have huge gaps filled with the mortar, but I finally just globbed a bunch in in those small areas that had a wedge shape on one side and another on the other side and filled in with pieces of brick. My thinking is that as long as the inside of the oven is dome shaped, with as much brick touching brick as you can get, and enough insulation on the outside, everything will be fine. I hope I'm not being an "imperfectionist" - but sometimes you just have to get the job going!

Anyway, this'll probably be the last day to work on it for a while since it looks like rain for the rest of the week.

Also, I'm at the point on the dome, where I have to start cutting angles - ugh. I only got half a ring up today. Very slow progress, I must say. But at least I got SOMETHING done on it.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Cecelia
Old 10-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I hope I'm not being an "imperfectionist" - but sometimes you just have to get the job going!
..... Remember it doesnt have to be pretty to cook pizza, as long as (like you said) you have it solid and it holds good heat,,, everything will be fine...

Keep in mind, that most of us here are Amateur Masons.... We do the best we can with our skills,, your doing fine,,,

As well I elect you to V.P. WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America.... To Join Just put it in your signature line.....All Members welcome

p.s. I am the president and only member..(hahah)

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Apprentice

So, exactly how do you get to your signature line to put anything there?
You have no idea how amatueur I am! I am a domestic goddess! I cook. I sew. I delegate chores to children and oversee homework and baths and bedtime and stuff like that.
Anyway, I'm honored to be V.P. But not worthy, I don't think!

Cecelia
Old 10-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
So, exactly how do you get to your signature line to put anything there?
Hi VP... Just click on your name and go to (USER CP control panel) theres a section in there "signature line" type in what you want and there it is...

Cheers
Mark

You are worthy......
Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Apprentice

I'm back at it today - it's cool and WINDY - I love Kansas! The forcast says breezy and whenever it says breezy it's WINDY. Well, it just makes the water feel warmer, that's all.

I DO NOT get doing all the angles cutting the bricks - I am going to try cutting very slight tapers on thirds of the bricks - maybe even fourths and just use smaller bricks to continue around the dome. I figure smaller bricks will be easier to fit, without have to fiddle with making compound angles and all that. I'm just going to try...
Anyway...Kansas. I came in from working out there and there was this huge "assasin bug" on me - My daughter kept saying something stunk - and then she saw it - it was "GYNORMOUS!" gross. They stink. How disgusting!

So, back out to the wilderness I go.

Hey, if using smaller sizes is a mistake, please tell me!

Cecelia
Old 10-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I DO NOT get doing all the angles cutting the bricks
you dont have to get it... The only angles i cut on my bricks were on the soldier course and near the door,, You can easily build almost the whole oven using just half bricks without cutting angles.. you fill the back end with mortar, its not as neat and pretty but the inside will look nice and the back/outside will be covered with insulation and so on...

you can also cut wooden wedges to hold the angles,

hope this helps
Mark
Old 10-28-2009, 07:36 PM

The original plan was to be built with half bricks, cut with a brick set. Some of the ovens built like that look funky, particularly at the top, but they work just fine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.