Old 08-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Serf

Default Weight Questions

I am currently in the process of outfitting a food trailer with a wood fire oven, I really would like to build a pompeii oven inside the truck, but am concerned about the weight, would have to be big enough to do 4-5 pies at a time. I could do a relatively lightweight metal frame base stand, but the oven and cooking surface I am curious if anyone has specs on weight? I am trying to decide between building my own oven or going with a kit - so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Serf

Default Re: Weight Questions

I'm assuming a 42" oven will hold 4-5 individual pizzas. Maybe others can confirm as I'm just planning my build. Bricks weigh anywhere from 7-8lbs, depending on the type a brick you use. So the 200 bricks (based on the pompeii plans) needed for the hearth and dome would weigh 1400-1600 lbs.

I would say use lighter weight, modern insulation. Also I've seen portable ovens around town clad in light weight Stainless Steel "scales" that were pretty nice looking. It's a great treat to have a wood fired pizza at a music festival!

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Peasant

Question Re: Weight Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippinsweet View Post
I am currently in the process of outfitting a food trailer with a wood fire oven, I really would like to build a pompeii oven inside the truck, but am concerned about the weight, would have to be big enough to do 4-5 pies at a time. I could do a relatively lightweight metal frame base stand, but the oven and cooking surface I am curious if anyone has specs on weight? I am trying to decide between building my own oven or going with a kit - so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Hi:
It would seem that a kit would be stronger and easier to build and safer. If you need it permitted you would have to have a engineered set of plans I would think a kit would be engineered. Also you could put in as much insulation as you want. If you are not a Mason or really good at brick work then time might be a issue also. Most if not all problems are manufactured out of kit's and you could get a better idea of weight as you will know what is shipped to you. Also you will have a real idea of what you add. I would be more concerned with vibration with a plan build as opposed to the kit.
Hank
Old 08-14-2011, 06:26 AM
Journeyman

Weight is an issue if you retrofitting an existing trailer. Vibration (and subsequent cracking) would be a bigger concern if you're using bricks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Serf

Thanks all - i hadn't thought about vibration as an issue with cracking, still hopeful about doing a custom build as oppossed to a kit, but still mulling pros and cons, thanks and more knowledge and feedback is certainly appreciated.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Serf

been really struggling, but after much investigating it appears many mobile WFO are pompeii style builds - though they are done on smaller flatbeds, and I am looking at doing mine inside an airstream.

In terms of cracking issues - what might be thoughts about preventing this during the pre-planning and build. I do have a friend who is a professional mason, so I will not be flying totally blind on my own skills, but ANY thoughts of what I might plan for before hand are appreciated.

Cheers.