Old 08-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Peasant

Default want to build mobile pizza oven

Not sure if this is the right spot, but i am considering building a mobile woodfired oven that i can take to different sites. And was wondering if anyone else had done this and what problems and solutions they may have encountered. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: want to build mobile pizza oven

Try searching the forum. There is quite a lot of discussion on mobile ovens available to read.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Journeyman

Nope, hasn't been done. =D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Press the search button at the top and type "mobile" then push "go".
You get lots of threads.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman1 View Post
Nope, hasn't been done. =D
Be nice...

Remember "Minnesota Nice".....

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-29-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Peasant

I understand it has bee done commercially. More I was wondering if someone had done it using the Pomeii oven plans and what issues they may have run into design wise etc.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

As the oven is subjected to bumps and vibration the fewer pieces it's made from the better.I have heard of brick ovens falling to bits pretty quickly on mobile trailers, so I built mine using a castings. I did the floor in one piece and the dome in one piece. It's about 4 years old and cops plenty of abuse, particularly as I hire it out lotsnand people tend to want to see how hot they can get it. Like a rental car " thrash it then give it back".
Most people build modular ovens for mobile application.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Peasant

David that's whatIi wanted to know. Did you use a commercially available kit or did you make your own molds and cast using refractory? I had thought about this process I don't think the mold would be too difficult to make as the commercial ones I've seen are not a true dome shape.

As to the floor I had thought about casting it in four pieces to allow for thermal expansion, but maybe I'm over thinking that part.

Do you have any photos of the dome casting process if you cast your own?

Thanks,
Gregg
Old 08-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I made my own mould in fiberglass creating an inner and outer moulds But if you only intend making one dome it is a lot of work making the master, then making a mould of it to then create a casting of the the mould. A much easier way to create a one off casting is to use the castable refractory over a sand hump and trowel the mixture over it.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:15 AM
Serf

I used a plywood form with a false bottom and sand cast the dome. Made the pour in one cast. Castable refractory is about $38/ 50 lb bag (Portland, OR), 40" dome took about 18 bags. Castable refractory sets off hot. You'll need to provide cooling via soaker hose. I made a simple rectangular vent landing/tunnel. I'm thinking I should have made an arch which would allow a more generous entry and better smoke management. I may modify (demo and repour the vent). I scaled the oven using Pompeii dimensions. I have a jib hoist that allowed me to lift the dome onto the trailer. You'll have to think about how you will lift 1000 lbs if you make a monolithic pour.

I liked the process. I'm more of a carpenter than a mason, so it was pretty easy to construct the form. Of course it helps if you have scrap wood around for bracing etc.

I heard some comments in Eugene, OR that a castable oven can spall into the oven. Based on David S'. experience, I don't think this is an issue. But that being said, I know there are brick ovens on the road in Eugene.