Old 07-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Vermiculite/perlite over CF Blanket?

I'm getting close to getting my oven closed up. I am trying to decide whether or not I need to add loose vermiculite or perlite around the oven.

I've currently insulated the oven with 3-4 inches of CF blanket. Is there any real value to adding loose vermiculite or perlite on top of that? With the oven at full temp, the outside of the blanket is currently at the ambient temperature - so it seems to be insulating quite well without any need for help.

I've called a couple places and it looks like the cheapest thing I can find is HD Perlite at $16 for a 2 cubic foot bag. If my math is correct and I want to cover my oven all the way to the top, I'd need about 15 bags of the stuff (Volume of the cube less half the volume of a sphere). Unless maybe the perlite expands once out of the bag. But I really don't want to spend the money unless I need to.

Advice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Vermiculite/perlite over CF Blanket?

I wouldn't if the insulation you have now doesn't get warm. $16.00 for 2 cuft is rape anyway.