Old 08-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Apprentice

Default Vermicrete over Blanket

Hi folks I am at the stage of putting the blanket on the dome. I have been reading the forum and just want to make sure I get this right based on peoples experiences.

I plan on putting some foil paper over the dome which has been parged with about 1 inch of high heat mortar. Then cover the foil with the blanket. Then put about 2 inches of vermicrete over the blanket. Does this approach sound right?

Questions:
1. How do I get the blanket to stay on?
2. Looks like people use chicken wire over the blanket as a lathe. Would cermamic tile lathe do or are the holes too small? Do I need a lather at all?
3. Next the vermicrete is 2 inches OK or should I go more? I saw someone post that they did a mix of 1/2 fireclay, 1 cement and 5 vermiculite to make it stickier. Is that a good mix?
4. Should I not be concerned that the blanket is getting covered by a wet substance? Won't the blanket getting wet cause a problem? Or should I cover it with foil as well before the vermicrete?

Thx
Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Vermicrete over Blanket

I did not parge much of my dome. I was trying to get as fast a heat up as possible and wasn't too worried about baking.

I also did not use foil to cover the dome.

As a result my blanket pretty much stuck to the dome. I'm not sure the foil is necessary.

I ran some galvanized wire across the dome in a crisscross pattern to keep it in place.

any left over pieces of the blanket were used to cover once again the top 2/3rds of the oven.

If you can, I'd go a little thicker on the vermicrete - seems that there is never enough insulation!

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by christo; 08-21-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Vermicrete over Blanket

Hi tdibratt,
it sounds like you have been reading my build as I went through everything except the foil with my build.
Read:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...-4-a-2045.html (Neillís Pompeii #4)

permalink #8 to answer all of your queries. Also hints and tips on getting that difficult cement to work and stick!
As far as the blanket getting wet, the vermiculite cement although a paste consistency will not 'soak' the blanket and will easily dry out especially if you cure your oven properly and carefully.
I would not touch the foil as it will not permit a bond with the oven and constituents but leave a potentially weaker thin shell around it.
I can see it serve absolutely no usefull purpose, only make your life difficult.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 08-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Journeyman

Tdibratt,

I don't think the foil is necessary. Here's what I did,
  • Put the Blanket directly on the dome - you'll be surprise how well it stays on.
  • I then used a little wire to keep it place but probably wasn't necessary.
  • I did use chicken wire to help keep the shape and hold the perlcrete (like vermicrete)
  • I used 2 " of blanket (3" on top) and 3-4" of perlcrete
  • Stick to 5 parts of portland an 1 part vermiculite - you'll be fine.
  • The blanket will dry out - no worries

Good luck.
Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Vermicrete over Blanket-ready-perlcrete.jpg   Vermicrete over Blanket-perlcrete-3.jpg   Vermicrete over Blanket-perlcrete-2.jpg  
Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
Tdibratt,

Stick to 5 parts of portland an 1 part vermiculite - you'll be fine.
Dont you mean Stick to 1 parts of portland an 5 part vermiculite ??