Old 12-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Apprentice

Default Vermic and type N

Working my way through the enttry arch shown in attachment here and planning the transiton to chimney.
My question is after anchor plate is mortared in place and I screw my stainless stack to anchor plate I am not sure about how to transition between my vermiculite concrete and (type N mortar that will hold my small stones that will face the oven). Can I bring both of the vermic concrete and type N mortar up to and touching the stainless stack?
Should I leave a bit of a space and fill in with a high heat silicone or something? ....thanks wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Vermic and type N-arch-row4.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Vermic and type N

Wayne, I can't say I did it the right way or wrong way, but I ran it right up to the Simpson pipe. Then placed my mosaic tile on its own mortar bed on top of the type N.
I did have a thin crack appear this summer about 4" long around the pipe. I carved it out, refilled it with mortar and all has been good since. If it reappears I may go with the high temp furnace caulk.

RT
Old 12-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Vermic and type N

One other thing, do your best to keep all mortar off of that nicely polished pipe. Type N really sticks well to everything - including stainless. I left a couple of dabs harden on the pipe, had to rub and rub and scrub to get it off - and it left scratches

RT