Old 03-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Serf

Default Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground

First of all thanks to all for the great inspiration throughout this forum.

Finally got started and really happy to be so close to playing with some bricks. This is going to be about a 42" diameter oven. All of the planning and measurements have come from the forum so please prep me with some questions.

Anyone have an indispensible tool for sale?
Attached Thumbnails
Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground-img_0218-1-.jpg   Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground-img_0217-1-.jpg  
Old 03-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground

Your stand and hearth look real good. I like your thinking outside the box with the oven on a 45 degree angle too.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground

Crash,
Congrats on the start. I can tell by your hearth that yours will be a very clean build. I did the same as you careful planning before starting. Keep up the good work and enjoy the results!

Mark
Old 03-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was expecting flashing lights and dancing girls....

Old 03-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
I was expecting flashing lights and dancing girls....
Wait until the first pizza bake....
Old 03-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Journeyman

CVCrash,

I do not have an indespenible tool. Best thing to do is to just build one - cut and paste this into google

site:Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community - The Pizza Oven Installation and Cooking Community "indespsnsible tool"

and that will bring up links.

Keep up the brickin!

Follow my build
Old 03-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Journeyman

Hi CVCrash,

An indispensable tool is easy to make after you've seen a photo or diagram of one and understand how it works. I made mine from a door hinge, a length of 1" square oak, some 1/4" x 20 all-thread rod, a piece of aluminum sheet from a sign and a second piece of oak board for the lip of the device. You may already have 1/4" x 20 nuts and a couple suitable screws for assembly. It's nothing more than a gauge to keep the inner measurement of the dome bricks consistent. It doesn't have to be fancy, no welding or clamps or mystery to it. Mine does adjust longer or shorter because of the threaded rod but it isn't necessary. It is set at 18" which is the size it needed to be.

You will need to mount the tool in the center of a board placed in the center of the oven. My "board" is a piece of 1" styrofoam insulation with a 4" block of wood glued into the center. I used a wooden yardstick with a nail in one end and a hole at the 18" mark and drew a 36" circle. The block of wood provided a place to hold a pivot bolt for the hinge. I put a matching piece of corrugated cardboard over the styrofoam. I just used the materials at hand for both the indispensable tool and the center mount and didn't have to buy anything. Other folks use plywood pieces. Whatever you choose, just be sure you can remove it from inside the oven when construction is done.

Credit goes to a former member for sharing this "indispensable" device with us. He's gone now but his legacy lives on. Search for posts by "Hendo".

Cheers,

Old 03-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Serf

thanks Bob and all... i see what your saying about the tool and a door hinge it will be. i also have a piece of plywood that i used for a floor template that i plan on cutting to protect the oven floor durring construction.

got the bricks this weekend and a saw.

Did not worry too much about cutting the bricks for the oven floor, I plan on laying the forst course on top of the floor.

Any reccomendations on cutting the bricks for the first course? i plan on laying half bricks down on their side with the factory edge facing in the dome. I have seen some cut the bricks on an angle for this course and was wondering if that would be worth it to reduce the amount of mortar used.

would like to get the first course and first couple bricks on the inner arch done next.
Attached Thumbnails
Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground-img_0221-1-.jpg   Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground-img_0222-1-.jpg   Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground-img_0219-1-.jpg  
Old 03-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Journeyman

Hello CVCrash,

You can start the first course in several different ways according to the Pompeii plans. Mine is half bricks standing on the narrow edge, soldier style, 4 1/2" tall. The next course is flat against the top of that row and the third row begins the taper. Some lay half bricks flat for a couple rows and others stand full size bricks on the narrow edge, same as mine, except 9" tall. You may want the first couple rows without inward taper so you can fit cooking pots close to the side without contacting the tapered side of the dome. There is no right or wrong way to start. The joints on the first course are narrow compared to the other courses. Taper the bricks if you want but if you stand the bricks on the narrow edge then you won't have big gaps to fill.

You will have fun planning the bricks so you don't get joints lining up. You have the saw close by so if you find your brick lines up with the joint below it then you can trim an inch or so and then mortar it in place. The joint lines don't matter so much on the first and second courses but you will want to stagger the joints in the remaining courses to help prevent long cracks and promote strength. I cut a few bricks into thirds so I would have some handy. Eventually you will find you need to custom cut a brick to fit and to make a key. Your big saw will make quick work if it.

I'm using the "Poor Mans Mortar" recipe and bought enough Portland cement, fire clay, fine sand and lime to build a couple of ovens. If you buy bags of refractory mortar then I can understand why you might want to taper your bricks to save mortar and $ but since I mix small batches and have lots of materials at hand I don't worry about it. One thing for sure, there is lots of mortar in my oven.

I soak my bricks pretty good before putting them in place. Since you also live in a dry desert region you may find the mortar begins to set too fast and you aren't quite ready to move on to another brick. Be sure to wet the bricks below the one you are working with since they always seem thirsty and will suck water from the mortar. If that happens, just remove the brick, wash it off, remove the dead mortar, put on some fresh and continue.

Cheers,

Old 03-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Serf

Thanks Bob...

what is the ratio for mixing your own high temp mortar?

the places im calling locally only sell fire clay.