Old 07-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Laborer

Default took the plunge!

Hello all, Thanks to all those that did this before me and posted their experiences in this forum. I have read so many my head hurts! 6 months of lurking on this forum and decided to take the plunge. started this month and just poured my hearth today! next week starts the bricks, wish me luck...

thanks for future help also! - Lou
Attached Thumbnails
took the plunge!-get-attachment-6.aspx.jpeg   took the plunge!-get-attachment-5.aspx.jpeg   took the plunge!-img_0077.jpg  
Old 07-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Laborer

Default Re: took the plunge!

sorry posted wrong pics. here's my stand
Attached Thumbnails
took the plunge!-img_0136.jpg   took the plunge!-img_0140.jpg   took the plunge!-img_0138.jpg   took the plunge!-img_0135.jpg   took the plunge!-img_0141.jpg  

Old 07-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Laborer

here is the hearth. sorry for the multiple posts it took me a while to figure this out, hope i have better luck with the dome than uploading pictures
Attached Thumbnails
took the plunge!-img_0143.jpg   took the plunge!-img_0142.jpg  
Old 07-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Apprentice

Good luck!

Seriously, you are going to have a great time. Enjoy the process and its many ups and downs. Think well in advance and have a clear picture of where you are going... though it appears you already have with your massive patio!

CB
Old 07-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Laborer

Thanks countryboy! I find it funny how, now that i have started i seem to have forgotten everything i read and find myself in panic mode reading threads all over again!! the patio and slab was easy part! i have to decide if i want to add a layer of perlite or vermiculite or just lay floor on fb board that i ordered and should be here in 2 days. found heat stop 50 and firebricks. heat stop was $50/bag and bricks were 1.35 a piece. 8 1/4" firebricks.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Laborer

I just used the FB board under my oven and kind of wish I had some additional insulation. The bottom of my hearth gets warm which is telling me I am losing some heat out the bottom. Have fun with the build.

Member WFOAMBA
Old 07-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Laborer

I am going to do both if i can get my hands on some vermiculite or perlite, mostly for added insulation but also for the height. i put down a piece of board and a brick on my hearth last night and realized its way too low. locating the stuff is my goal for today
Old 07-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Apprentice

The local building dealer had a skid of used firebricks for sale ... he wanted $4 each!!!!!! I declined .
The vermiculite is available at the building supply under the name '' block fill'' [ for filling in hollow concrete blocks .
ps get some heavy aluminum foil and use it under your insulation and under your floor ''[shiny side up!].
happy building
tim
Old 07-21-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
ps get some heavy aluminum foil and use it under your insulation and under your floor ''[shiny side up!].
Aluminum foil rots out in contact with the corrosive portland cement. It can be used to form a slip plane where you don't want mortar to stick to an adjacent surface, but it has no insulation or waterproofing function in oven building. My advice is to skip this step unless you have a specific reason for doing so.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Apprentice

Pool supply business is a good source for cheap vermiculite. Here it is about $19 for a HUGE bag of straight vermicultie, or $24 for same size bag premixed with cement. Had to talk to a couple pool stores and explain what I was doing before one would help me get the stuff, then I simply pulled a couple bags out of a tractor trailer load they had at their supply yard.

CB