Old 01-17-2014, 01:54 AM
Peasant

Default temperature measurement

Hello Iam close to roofing my oven in and closing in the sides, and was thinking if anyone had a prefered place to put the temperature probe in the oven if you are only using one, which is what Iam planning to do.
recommendations.

Thanks Grant.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: temperature measurement

The floor, as it will always be the lowest temp.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:08 AM
Peasant

Thanks, I will try and get it as low as the floor then, makes sense, thats where I will be cooking.

Grant.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A good man [KD] once told me the only temperature gauge needed is one that reads air temp. A heat gun is fine for Pizza.

Once the oven equalises Air temp is all that is needed as wall, floor air should all be the same within a few degrees.

My firings have followed this pattern burn strong for 2 hours, remove coals, put the door on wait for 90 minutes for oven to equalise at this point only air temp is important.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Peasant

oasiscdm,

Thanks for the advise, the reason why I was thinking away from a gun type thermostat was that the ones I looked at, all only went up to 400deg cell.

And the other one with a probe went up to 1100 deg cell, but it means a hole in the oven, which I havent planned for all though it is not to late for me to put one in.
They compare in cost.
How hot do these ovens get? and do I need to know the temp over 400deg?

I would prefer to get the gun type, because I can use if for other things.

Grant.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Apprentice

Definitely want to read over 400 degrees.
Here is mine: Infrared

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 01-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Apprentice

Most ovens will reach a temp of around 1000F to clear the dome. I found an IR gun on amzon for just under $30. It works great for the floor and wall temps. That way I know when we can cook other foods which require a lesser temp than pizza.
jon
Old 01-26-2014, 01:49 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinch View Post
oasiscdm,

Thanks for the advise, the reason why I was thinking away from a gun type thermostat was that the ones I looked at, all only went up to 400deg cell.

And the other one with a probe went up to 1100 deg cell, but it means a hole in the oven, which I havent planned for all though it is not to late for me to put one in.
They compare in cost.
How hot do these ovens get? and do I need to know the temp over 400deg?

I would prefer to get the gun type, because I can use if for other things.

Grant.
What practical use is a thermometer that reads more then 400 c with regard to a WFO
Old 01-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Apprentice

I think I was talking Fahrenheit and he was talking Celsius. 400c=750f. Im no pro but I would think one would like to know just how "over" he was if he got it too hot.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 01-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine tops out at around 550C and it is a little annoying when I point it at the top of the dome and it won't give a reading because it's too high. I rarely use it now because the thing only reads the surface temperature which is not a good indication unless the oven is saturated and there's no active fire.