Old 06-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Peasant

Default steel vent thickness

Is 22 gauge stainless steel thick enough to use for the vent? I had a vent fabricated and it seems thinner than expected. (see photo posted showing comparison of thickness to FB door)
Attached Thumbnails
steel vent thickness-p1040282.jpg   steel vent thickness-p1040284.jpg   steel vent thickness-p1040285.jpg   steel vent thickness-p1040286.jpg  
Old 06-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: steel vent thickness

I cannot say about the guage, but I like the design and I think it is going to do a good job collecting smoke. Are you going to enclose it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Peasant

I plan to enclose it in stucco, unless I hear that there is a lot of concern regarding its longevity. If it is not going to last, then I might try to leave out of the stucco, or have a new thicker one made.
Thank you for your reply.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Journeyman

stidik...

A few years ago, I was having a driveway cut in to a field, and suddenly, there appeared a shiny metal piece. I thought it had fallen off the grader ( heavy equipment to do the digging). It turns out, there was a hole that someone had used for trash 60 years ago. It was long since forgotten until we stumbled upon it.

I unfolded this piece of stainless steel and hammered it out a bit. I plan to use it for my chimney cap eventually. It is fairly thin, probably similar to your hood. It is an amazing material. Still durable, shiny after being buried for years.

That piece will probably outlast your oven.

Lars.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Apprentice

Arrow Re: steel vent thickness

22guage is pretty thin but should be OK provided it is 304 or 316 grade stainless.
I made mine out of a lower stainless but 16 guage (or 1.6mm thick).
The only problem that you can expect is the stainless to 'rust' and it will if it gets hot and oxidizes.
I used to make stainless quick releases for water ski display and delta wing kite flying behind a boat and the 316 stainless always rusted where the metal was heated or oxidizes/welded.
The oxidised areas need to be 'passivated' or 'pickled' using passivating paste which consists of equal proportions of nitric, sulfuric and hydroflouric acids.
See how it goes.
My hood has a little rust on the weld spots but will taked years to penetrate through the metal thickness.

Rastys