Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Laborer

Default Steel Stud Question

Excuse me as this may be a stupid question, but are there difference's in steel studs that I need to be aware of? I found 25 on CL for $20 bucks and they were extra for a wall in a basement. That's all I know about them. Seems like a decent price but as I'm not at this stage yet so I wasn't sure if I needed a specific type or thickness. The oven will be built in a cold climate if that makes any difference. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Serf

Default Re: Steel Stud Question

watch out for super-light weight studs. Most of the studs you get from hardware stores (in my experience) are around 25 gauge. 25 gauge studs should be used for non-load bearing applications.

An oven with a walled enclosure is a load bearing application. Shingles, tar paper, cement board, and people ( if you ever have reason to go climbing on the roof) are all heavy.

I recommend 18 gauge or 20 gauge as a minimum.

Colin
Old 03-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Journeyman

Or double them up to make them twice as strong. Of course that is if they are free or reasonably inexpensive. Never look a gift horse in da mouth!

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Steel Stud Question

How many studs do you need for the design of your enclosure? You will certainly need twice that number....Mix these stud in with the studs you buy elsewhere. I would have no problem using them. The roof of your enclosure is relatively light weight.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Banned

We used 18 ga. steel studs, 6 bags of vermiculite and a few sheets of green board, almost done, pictures here: DIY pizza, Pizza Making Supply, DIY Pizza oven, DIY pizza-ovens, DIY wood ovens, pizza Cutter, Pizza Stones, pizza knives, spice shakers, cheese shakers, crushed red pepper shaker, grill pizza, grill pizza, pizza Q, BBQ pizza, make pizza grill, makin Oven is built of mostly "FREE" recycled materials !