Old 06-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Laborer

Default Soldier row on top of floor??

I am a little anxious about starting the oven. I built three stands with a grill to the right and a smoker to the left. I screwed up the hearth for the oven by mixing the perilite with concrete rather than cement. I had to take it out and redo it. I did the grill and the smoker because I felt comfortable doing it. Now I am wondering if it is easier to just start the soldier row on top of the floor. I am afraid that the gaps between the floor and soldier row will be greater if I cut the floor to be inside. I know it is easier to replace bricks inside, but is it worth it?
Attached Thumbnails
Soldier row on top of floor??-img_1241.jpg   Soldier row on top of floor??-img_1260.jpg   Soldier row on top of floor??-img_1279.jpg   Soldier row on top of floor??-img_1280.jpg  
Old 06-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Soldier row on top of floor??

Barry, how large would the gaps be? When you get to that area of the floor, it's a non issue. It will fill with ash and you would never cook in that space anyway. I know I was concerned about the ability of replacing brick in the beginning, but after using my oven for a couple of years, I don't see the need. With that said, you are good whichever path you choose.
Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"I know it is easier to replace bricks inside, but is it worth it?"

Either way works OK. I built on the floor. There is less precise cutting required. In the remote chance that you have to replace bricks, most of your floor area would be readily accessible anyway. If the ones under the soldier course need removing you could "wiggle" them out one at a time and replace them as well.

Last edited by Neil2; 06-04-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Laborer

That is what I was thinking. I was hoping that I would never have to replace a brick and if I did I could get it out. Then my cuts can "looser" and not as percise. I am looking forward to starting tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Journeyman

I have seen the mention of replacing hearth bricks mentioned frequently, has anyone on the forum had to actually replace hearth bricks?
Eric
Old 06-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Laborer

good question
Old 06-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprante View Post
I have seen the mention of replacing hearth bricks mentioned frequently, has anyone on the forum had to actually replace hearth bricks?
Eric
There was a post about it just this morning - here is the thread.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...rth-12025.html (spalling hearth)

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

As long as this subject is front and center, I have the following question:

It has been said that the 'dome outside the floor' configuration is more efficient than the 'dome on-top of the floor' configuration because the floor heat is contained within the confines of the dome wall.

Given that the floor typically does not attain as high a temperature as the dome, wouldn't this be counter-intuitive? Besides, don't all bricks in an oven, once fully thermally-saturated radiate whatever heat they have outwards equally?
Old 06-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"It has been said that the 'dome outside the floor' configuration is more efficient than the 'dome on-top of the floor' configuration because the floor heat is contained within the confines of the dome wall."

It's exactly the same thickness of firebrick either way. The temperature right at the bottom of the wall exactly equals the floor temperature at the same point. The temperature may be higher as you go up the dome.

Last edited by Neil2; 06-05-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:51 PM

I've said it before: I don't know what the soldier course is for. I don't see any reason not to lay your first chain of dome bricks right on the oven floor. I think the full height soldier course that has become more popular lately causes the sharp corner of the dome to exert a lot of lateral force on the side walls.