Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 03:21 AM
Serf

Default And so it begins...

I've kind of been lurking here for a while, sort of hoping to someday maybe build an oven. Then my wife said that she wanted to have a brick patio out behind the goldfish pond and the two ideas sort of meshed. Since my nephew has 25 year old knees, a landscape company and a crew of guys to keep busy while I have 54 year old knees, a full time job and I'm in school for my masters, it was easy to decide who did the bulk of the dirty work building the patio.

Here is the site getting cleared out and a 10 inch base of crushed gravel.

Next, the lads do the patio layout...

The finished patio...

Now comes my turn...

More to follow...
Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: And so it begins...

Welcome to the forum!
Keep those young knees and backs handy for awhile.
Texman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Journeyman

Welcome Paul!

You do know that you'll want to remove those cross struts before pouring the concrete, right? They will be awfully hard to remove afterwards!
Old 11-15-2013, 12:45 AM
Serf

Packing down the area. I dug the sono-tubes to four feet so they are below the frost line.

I put rebar in the sono-tubes and bent it 90 degrees where it came out of the tubes. I used some rubble and the cut offs from the patio to take up some space in the area. I also put down two layers of wire across the rubble and then laid some more rebar across that.

The finished pad off the side of the patio. Probably won't get much more done till spring. I guarantee that if I wait it will never drop below freezing all winter but if I built the base today it would drop to 40 below zero tomorrow and stay there till April.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Master Builder

You have a great launching pad for when the weather warms up again for you. You are most welcome to the cold, I would not function if I had to live with those temps. Look forward to seeing your posts when you resume your build.

It would be cabin fever for me since I spend most of my time outside.
brickie in oz likes this.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 11-15-2013, 01:43 AM
Serf

Awww, winters not that bad. You just need to wear a drysuit instead of a wetsuit. LOL
Old 11-15-2013, 03:13 AM
Apprentice

Looks great so far...keep posting pics!

Link to my pictures

Old 04-11-2014, 05:03 AM
Serf

Spring has finally arrived. Time to start.

My next day off is Tuesday, I'll try to get the hearth poured and the cores filled then.
boerwarrior likes this.

Last edited by paulthenurse; 04-11-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:21 AM
Apprentice

Hi Paul and welcome. I know what you did w/the sonotubes is standard and customary in lots of places. I am in construction and have been for many, many years. However, I cannot understand for the life of me why anyone in the Building Dept's in those areas thinks that burying sonotubes four feet deep helps stop or prevent frost heaving. It does nothing whatsoever. I know you are doing what is customary, nothing against you. It's just a total waste of time. It does nothing whatsoever w/frost. Nothing. As a matter of fact, w/frost conditions, it is actually detrimental. Just my two cents. Good luck on your build. I have just started, also. You've come to the right place. Lots and lots of knowledgeable and helpful folks here.

Last edited by NCMan; 04-11-2014 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-11-2014, 06:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMan View Post
Hi Paul and welcome. I know what you did w/the sonotubes is standard and customary in lots of places. I am in construction and have been for many, many years. However, I cannot understand for the life of me why anyone in the Building Dept's in those areas thinks that burying sonotubes four feet deep helps stop or prevent frost heaving. It does nothing whatsoever. I know you are doing what is customary, nothing against you. It's just a total waste of time. It does nothing whatsoever w/frost. Nothing. As a matter of fact, w/frost conditions, it is actually detrimental. Just my two cents. Good luck on your build. I have just started, also. You've come to the right place. Lots and lots of knowledgeable and helpful folks here.
You're right, but it is not a practice endorsed by any building dept I was familiar with in New England. Mainly because the piers are and anchor points on a floating slab. And after seasonal freeze thaw cycles, the anchor points become the weak link in the slab.

It's all moot now. The best thing that can be done now is to try and keep the area around the oven as dry as possible, and well drained.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin