Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 06:22 PM
Apprentice

Default size of the reveal

Almost done with the dome, so I'm planning the reveal, and am hoping to get more comments than if I posted this on my thread. I had previously thought I'd leave a 1". But then I was thinking...if the reveal were as wide as possible (without leaving a gap between the dome arch and vent arch, so smoke wouldn't escape) then the door could be bigger, therefore providing more insulation to cover the arch bricks. I suppose if I wanted, I could make the door with 3" of insulation, so there would be less heat loss with the door on. I also figured a wider reveal would make it easier to maneuver into the oven at different angles. Does this all make sense?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:03 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: size of the reveal

Jim.....just a thought, but have you considered a heat break between your arches? The gap gets sealed up later, so you'd have no smoke escaping. As for the reveal, I plan to leave about 2 1/2" showing on mine, mainly for the reasons you mentioned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra

Last edited by NCMan; 07-27-2014 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Text
Old 07-27-2014, 07:57 PM
Apprentice

Right, forgot to mention I have also planned a 1/2" heat break all around the dome arch.
NCMan likes this.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:14 AM
Master Builder

Helped one mate build an oven and we left about an inch. He says he wishes we'd left more so he can come in at more of an angle.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you flare your entryway a bit, it should afford easy access into all of the 'corners' of your oven. A 1.25" reveal is plenty big enough to insert/remove my door, which is an inch wider than my 20" oven opening.
Attached Thumbnails
size of the reveal-flared-arch.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
Helped one mate build an oven and we left about an inch. He says he wishes we'd left more so he can come in at more of an angle.
I have heard that same comment from more than one WFO owner, including a guy that builds WFO's, fabricates doors and is actually a Forno Bravo Dealer here in the area. That's where I got the idea to make the reveal larger. Plus, in most cases, it makes your smoke chamber/throat larger, which is a good thing. Yet another "win-win" in my opinion.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 07-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Journeyman

I have an inch of reveal, with a slightly flared entryway so that I can easily get my door in and out.

My door is 2 inches thick and filled with insulation. If I place the door on the oven immediately after I am done cooking, then 3 days later my oven is still at 300 degrees. I guess a bigger reveal with more insulation would give you even better heat storage but I'm not sure how much benefit this would be!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I guess a bigger reveal with more insulation would give you even better heat storage but I'm not sure how much benefit this would be
I agree. Sure, presumably the more door insulation one has is better, but I think the heat loss would emanate from the exposed metal door surface. Theoretically, the more surface area (including reveal) one has, the more potential heat loss. That is, unless the exposed surface has an insulated pad covering it. I've committed to making one out of leftover CF blanket sewn into welding blanket material, but not sure how soon I can get to it.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Jim

Check my build out. Will post the thread post number later. I built a flared arch like John but my reveal is 4"looks great provides a greater landing area. I also rebated the bricks around the entry arch.

I have never understood why most go with a 1ish " reveal.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The most important issue is really not the size of the reveal but more important that you have one. Do what size works for you.
GianniFocaccia and oasiscdm like this.

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-29-2014 at 06:34 AM.