Old 06-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Laborer

Default Sakrete Maximizer

I'm making preparations to pour my hearth. I'm trying to decide between regular Sakrete and Sakrete Maximizer.

Since Maximizer utilizes an "air entrained" aggregate (expanded shale) and is lighter weight, it would seem that it would be less thermally conductive. Does anyone know this for sure? And has anyone used Maximizer for the hearth because of these properties?
Old 06-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Sakrete Maximizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsiajb View Post
I'm making preparations to pour my hearth. I'm trying to decide between regular Sakrete and Sakrete Maximizer.

Since Maximizer utilizes an "air entrained" aggregate (expanded shale) and is lighter weight, it would seem that it would be less thermally conductive. Does anyone know this for sure? And has anyone used Maximizer for the hearth because of these properties?
Probably not, since any heat transfer through the insulation is minimal. If your structural slab is getting hot, you've got problems. Use either one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 06-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Probably not, since any heat transfer through the insulation is minimal. If your structural slab is getting hot, you've got problems. Use either one.
Thanks! I should have mentioned that my insulating layer will be 4" thick 5:1 vermiculite/portland cement. So there will be little or no transfer of heat through this 4" layer to the hearth?
Old 06-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Any aggregate containing air will be weaker which in turn will make the concrete slab weaker and you then have to factor this into your design. You can make it stronger by making it thicker, but then you're back to square one.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Any aggregate containing air will be weaker which in turn will make the concrete slab weaker and you then have to factor this into your design. You can make it stronger by making it thicker, but then you're back to square one.
Thanks. I would think the same thing, but this Maximizer product is actually the strongest Sakrete I can buy - at least from a PSI perspective. Maximizer is rated at 5500 PSI while the regular product is rated at 3500 PSI.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Maximizer uses expanded shale aggregate, so it is both lightweight and stronger than normal 3/8" pea gravel concrete mix.

Since it does uses that particular aggregate, it is subject to a flash set while mixing. The expanded shale aggregate is very dry (oven dried) and highly absorbent, so I recommend adding all of the recommended water to 3/4 of the bag, mixing, then adding the last dry component after it is thoroughly mixed.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Maximizer uses expanded shale aggregate, so it is both lightweight and stronger than normal 3/8" pea gravel concrete mix.

Since it does uses that particular aggregate, it is subject to a flash set while mixing. The expanded shale aggregate is very dry (oven dried) and highly absorbent, so I recommend adding all of the recommended water to 3/4 of the bag, mixing, then adding the last dry component after it is thoroughly mixed.
Wow...thank you for this vital information. It sounds like it could ruin my mixer!
Old 06-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsiajb View Post
Wow...thank you for this vital information. It sounds like it could ruin my mixer!
No, it just means you have less time to work with it. Use cold water too...hot water from the hose will accelerate the set.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 06-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is not normally an issue in power mixers, just when you are mixing by hand. Still do it the same way I said. You will see the effect if it happens, the surface of the mix glazes over and gets shiny. In a power mixer, it breaks itself up, but if you mix as I suggested, you will not see it.

All cementious mixes suffer from flash set to one extent or another. In power mixing, it is not a concern, but when hand mixing concrete or cement based mixes, it is very easy to add too much water when it flash sets, then you have soup once you mix it some more.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Stonecutter is right about the hose. I normally fill a couple five gallon buckets and pour from them into the mixer, it is easier to gauge how much you are putting in and it stays cool.