Old 11-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Serf

Smile Russ's 42" WFO Project

Hi All,

Iím finally making a start on my WFO project, after much procrastination as to where, when and how I think weíve decided on a plan of attack. Many thanks to the numbers of generous people who have posted their personal thoughts and ideas, it has assisted in making the design process that much easier. Granted the hard work is yet to come, but from what Iíve read thus far some rewarding moments as well.
Like others, Iíll post the details of my progress, hope you enjoy. Feedback and comments welcome.

Russ
Old 11-23-2009, 01:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Russ's 42" WFO Project

Cabsauv

Quote:
Granted the hard work is yet to come
Wrong! it is a pleasurable experience and should take a round a month working just on weekends to get it completed.
Cooking in it is great and then there is the facilities to support your Pompeii. An outdoor kitchen is the least that you will get, not hard work, rather time consuming and expensive.
Remember to post your progress pics.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Serf

Talking Re: Russ's 42" WFO Project

Hi Folks,

Well itís been a while since my last post but much has happened. Again thank you to the many posts on the FB forum, thereíve been lots of helpful tips, hints and pit falls to be avoided.

After much procrastination as to the placement and design of my outdoor cooking area we finally settled on a location. (We = She who must be obeyed and Finance/Administration Director)

With my annual Xmas holidays approaching I had a goal to have my ground slab completed prior to returning to work on 11 January 2010.

This seemed simple enough until you consider the bigger picture. With the positioning agreed upon, we decided to factor into the plan the need for potential shade over the area. This meant the placement of at least one 100x100x3.0mm (4Ēx4Ēx1/8Ē) post behind what will be the bench and BBQ area attach to WFO stand. I had also decided to run power to the area as well, thanks to an idea I picked up from MikeyMann.

So it was down to business. Iíve finally completed the ground slab with a couple of days left to spend relaxing and making plans for the next stage of building the walls and heath.

My progress can be viewed at the following address: Picasa Web Albums - cabsauv - My WFO
Old 01-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Russ,
this hot spell will slow you down a bit, the others are freezing their butts off and we've got 39˚ tomorrow, 41K Sat, Sun and Mon and high again Tuesday, but then again you will bee back at work.
Keep up the good work.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 03-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Russ's 42" WFO Project

Russ,

How's the build going? It's been a while since you last posted. I hope that this means that you are out in the back yard building and not in front of the PC?

Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
(Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)
Old 03-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Serf

Hi Paul,

The building progress was a little stop-start over the Xmas and early in the new year, due to a couple of events namely my son's 18th. Now back into full swing having just completed the Hebel block work for the over stand and bbq area, my picture are here (Picasa Web Albums - cabsauv - My WFO)

I hope to start work this weekend on the formwork for the oven slab, I'm using the same metal decking that is used within the commercial sector as lost formwork, manufactured by our subsidiary companies.

I'll continue to keep you all upto date.

Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000183_edit.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000185_edit.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000201_edit.jpg  
Old 04-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Serf

Post Re: Russ's 42" WFO Project

Hi All,
I hope that you all had a blessed Easter. I'm making progress, I didnít get as much completed as I would have hoped over the Easter break. But never the less, Iím ready to pour my heath slab. I thought the WFO community might be interested in the materials I used as my formwork.

My background was in manufacturing within the building industry (now in IT) but I called up on my contacts and used Fielders KingFlor RF55ô with a fold galvanised edging (1.0mm) this will hold and support the concrete.

All things going well Iíll pour the slab next week. This will be a manual task of either bucket it from the wheelbarrow or trying to get the mixer high enough to pour straight from the mixer.

Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000272_edit.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000273_edit.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000277_edit.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000282_edit.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000285_edit.jpg  

Old 04-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Russ's 42" WFO Project

Very Nice Russ!!

You have got off to the perfect start. Your sheeting reminds me of the old clip lock sheeting only more high-tech.

Keep those pics coming!!

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledgeÖ but rather, the lack of will power.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 AM
Serf

Talking Re: Russ's 42" WFO Project

Hi Folks,

With a wet South Aussie winter behind us and spring just starting to make an appearance it's time to shift into high gear.

It's been awhile since my last post, so hear where I'm at.....

I finished the oven slab in April. This proved to be a bit of a challenge as I needed to work with the concrete mixer in the back of the trailer and then shovel the mix up into the slab tray from the wheelbarrow. This process turned out to be easier than first thought considering my helping hand had better things to do. (Note to self: Teenage son sometimes can't be relied upon). Since then I've just been waiting for the rain to stop.

After much searching and no luck in trying to purchase a second hand brick saw, I finally decided to purchase a new one. I picked up an AR Brick Saw for $800.00 AUD, with a bit of luck I can re-sell and re-coop some costs. Or better still hire it out at $150.00 AUD per day.

A teenage son does come in handy, as an apprentice carpenter/cabinet maker he was able to cut the template for the floor as a project on the CNC machine, plot the dimension and out comes a perfectly cut and accurate template. 15mm ply at no cost can't beat that.

I purchased my first installment of insulation board, mortar, fire bricks, and 300x300x50 floor tiles.

Today (19/09/2011) I put my brick saw through its paces, and cut all the floor tiles to shape. It finally feels like I'm getting somewhere, its great to see my WFO taking shape albeit layed out on the garage floor. I just need to do some final cutting of the tiles around the position of the inner arch. I'll have to use an angle grinder with a stone wheel for this job. Then I'm ready to put them into position on the slab and start to mortar in the solders.

More details and info to follow in the coming weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000313_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000318_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000789_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000787_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000794_2.jpg  

Old 09-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Serf

Lightbulb Re: Russ's 42" WFO Project

Can anyone assist me with a dilemma?
What height did folks make their solder course? I planned on using a full brick on it end with 15 degrees cut off the top, thus leaving the back of the brick 180mm high. This will allow for the first chain to be set on a mortar bed. (See attached)
This seems to be the most common approach, does anyone have the best advice on what worked for them?
Attached Thumbnails
Russ's 42" WFO Project-wfo-firstcourse.jpg