Old 01-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Serf

Default QUIKRETE Refractory Mortar Mix

Has anyone modified the regular Quikrete Mortar Mix by adding fireclay to make an acceptable refractory mortar mix? If so, how much fireclay to add per 60 pound bag?
Old 01-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: QUIKRETE Refractory Mortar Mix

It would be a difficult task to do so...the mix you refer to is a type N mix which would mean equal parts of cement and lime to approximately 6 parts sharp sand...however I think there is an acceptable range for sand content that might increase that amount to over the 6 parts that is customary...very hard to figure out how much fireclay to add and one probably could not tell by sight or feel unless they had been working with such products for a long, long time...a place that carries fireclay should carry type N mortar which would be premixed hydrated lime and cement in a 1/1 ratio...you would then be able to add the fireclay and sand...
Hope this helps!
Dutch
Old 01-03-2009, 04:31 AM
Peasant

MP

by no means am i a mason or an engineer, but follow the 1:3:1:1 refractory mortar mix recipe....type s lime, masons sand, portland cement, fireclay...works like a champ!!

Woodhead
Old 01-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Serf

Yes type N mortar with fireclay works great and would probably work best. 5 parts N and one part fireclay is the correct formula for fire mortar 1 1 3 1 .Type S has twice as much lime in it for a 1 part portland 2 parts lime and 3 sand. Adding one part fire clay would give you a 1 2 3 1 formula. Type S is rated for underground wet areas. For a 60 lb bag of mortar I think you would need about 12 lbs of fireclay.

Last edited by rlb444; 01-05-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb444 View Post
Yes type N mortar with fireclay works great and would probably work best. 5 parts N and one part fireclay is the correct formula for fire mortar 1 1 3 1 .Type S has twice as much lime in it for a 1 part portland 2 parts lime and 3 sand. Adding one part fire clay would give you a 1 2 3 1 formula. Type S is rated for underground wet areas. For a 60 lb bag of mortar I think you would need about 12 lbs of fireclay.
So what would be the best way, hypothetically speaking, of mixing up a suitable blend using type S mix?
-Add one part portland cement, one part fireclay, 5 parts type S?
-Or add 1 part cement, 2 parts fireclay, 1 part type S mix, 3 parts sand?
-Or, does the type S mix already contain enough sand to cover this?
...Or am I just way off base here with a neophyte brickie quiestion? I will probably have some extra type S from another concurrent project, is why I ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Master Builder

I think rlb has it backwards...there is less portland cement in type N than type S...type N for general building consists of 1 part portland 1 part lime and 6 parts sand whereas type S consists of 2 parts portland 1 part lime and 9 parts sand...if you have the the type S mortar(without the sand) as opposed to the mortar mix(already has the sand in it and you just have to add water) you might be able to mix an extra half a cubic foot of hydrated lime with one cubic foot of type S mortar and the 3 cu-feet of sand and 1 cu of fireclay to be pretty close to the 1-3-1-1 recipe...if it is the mix it will be much tougher to do...IMHO
Best
Dutch
Old 05-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback... That makes more sense. It is the mix, not just the mortar. I will probably go ahead and buy fresh materials and mix from scratch. I'm sure I will find a use for the mix I have, what with the variety of masonry projects I have going on simultaneously.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Master Builder

Jamie
Another word to the wise...when you get the sand for the oven mortar(refractory) try to get the sharpest or finest sand possible...it will make for a nice workable and smooth mortar for those tight joints...if you are bricking the enclosure or for the outer arch it is not such a big deal
Best
Dutch
Old 05-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Apprentice

thanks for the tip... i'll keep that in mind!

Old 05-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Serf

Thanks for the correction Dutch. Yes type N is approx 1 portland, 1 lime, and 3 fine sand. Type S is approx 2 portland, 1/2 lime, 4 coarse sand. I find that the formulas vary depending where you look esp with the sand content. In building my oven I found that the type N mixed 5 to 1 with fireclay works much better than the S mixed 5 to 1. Working with type N is smoother and so is the finish.