Old 09-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Laborer

Default Protecting firebrick from the elements

My build has firebricks that are exposed to the weather at the entrance and I have noticed that over the last 6 months they have degraded, unlike the traditional clay building bricks that I used on the rest of the oven exterior.

These bricks do not really get hot when the oven is in use and I wondered if there was any kind of treatment I could apply to protect them.

Brad
Old 09-16-2009, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Protecting firebrick from the elements

I wouldn't treat your bricks with anything. How are they degrading? Brickyards always store bricks outside: they really shouldn't be in danger from the elements, save for wet/freeze/thaw cycles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Protecting firebrick from the elements

Cheers Dmun,

I think that you have replied to everyone of my questions in a couple of hours of posting, I really appreciate your wisdom.

The bricks appear to have lost some of their original waxiness and are a bit more porous than they started out. They will be exposed to potential freezing weather and could also get wet, although they will be slightly protected by the roof overhang. They just seem to have weathered less well than the standard clay building bricks and they have not seen a winter yet!

Brad