Old 08-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Serf

Default Pompeii oven brick quantities

Hi guys,

I have decided to build myself a 42" brick Pompeii oven.

I have downloaded the build plans which gives approximate qaunts Just wanted to check with experienced builders that these quant's are in the right ball park.

I'm planning on a 230 x 114 x 65mm brick or (9" x 4 1/2" x 2 1/2" in old money) medium duty fire brick.

Approx quantities of bricks are: 65 for the oven floor. 140 for the dome and approx 30 for the arch. In total 235 bricks.

Also I am planning on using a 255mm sliding mitre saw with a diamond blade to cut the bricks, is this what most people use. I shall be building the oven over a couple months and don't want to spend £100's on hiring a wet saw.

Any advice would gratefully received.

Cheers Olly.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Pompeii oven brick quantities

I can give advice on the saw... here in the US a lot of people buy a tile/brick saw at the start of the project and then sell it at the end. Total net cost of this process is typically $100-. The problem with using a a diamond blade in a mitre saw is that the bricks need to be cut WET - otherwise you will go through a lot of very expensive diamond blades in a short time (I used one blade for my entire project including cutting hundreds of regular bricks for my stand and surround)

Regular sliding mitre saws are not designed to be used wet, and indeed it can be extremely dangerous to use water near them. Brick/tile saws are designed with an integrated watering system.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Peasant

Check out deejayoh's speadsheet located here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tor-18131.html (Dome spreadsheet calculator)

It is pretty accurate and will give you an idea on quantities and angles. For what it's worth, my recent 38" used less that 150 total for the Dome and Arch (floor was done separate). Have fun and take your time! These can go up in a week, but you'll be looking at them for years!

-Jon

Last edited by SevenAcre; 08-04-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Laborer

Certainly don't rent a wet saw, the sums just don't work out. In my own build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...eii-19721.html (30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii) I bought a used brick saw on ebay and the amount of time it took meant a rental would've cost 2-3x as much as buying it outright.

Other UK builds have used the 255mm sliding mitre saw without much problem, you've got to completely soak the bricks before you cut them though.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolly130805 View Post
Hi guys,

I have decided to build myself a 42" brick Pompeii oven.

I have downloaded the build plans which gives approximate qaunts Just wanted to check with experienced builders that these quant's are in the right ball park.

I'm planning on a 230 x 114 x 65mm brick or (9" x 4 1/2" x 2 1/2" in old money) medium duty fire brick.

Approx quantities of bricks are: 65 for the oven floor. 140 for the dome and approx 30 for the arch. In total 235 bricks.

Also I am planning on using a 255mm sliding mitre saw with a diamond blade to cut the bricks, is this what most people use. I shall be building the oven over a couple months and don't want to spend £100's on hiring a wet saw.

Any advice would gratefully received.

Cheers Olly.
I used a mitre saw for my build and it worked very well. The only problem was the amount of dust it created. I didn't have to soak the bricks, (although I did because of the dust) a few squirts of water is all that is needed. This is me cutting bricks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2bzfgzKfF0
You might want to check out this build also http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/ju...d-20791-2.html (Just North of Nashville 42" Build)

Last edited by Steellearning; 08-05-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Apprentice

I bought 250 bricks and used every one of them on my 42" oven.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:59 AM
Apprentice

I bought the FB 42in kit and had to buy about 60 more brick to complete the dome. I went with a Mortarless design in that on the inside of the oven you see zero mortar. I used a Jig to cut my bricks that was detailed here in the forums.

The reason I am telling you this is that this likely caused me to use more brick and less mortar. Therefore I had to buy more brick.

I think there original plans were utilizing all square bricks and living with gaps. Or mortaring them.

Good luck.

I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food...
WC Fields

Link to my build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.