Old 11-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Apprentice

Default Placing bricks over the opening

We are doing a standard square opening with angle iron and then putting the decorative arch in front of it. My question to you lovely builders is how did you all decide how to cut your bricks to form the 1st course that goes all the way around the oven? By that I mean first course that did not stop 18" apart.

Thanks!

We just put in the 7th out of 10 courses today. The Chimney and insulation blanket arrive Monday. We're so close to the keystone I can taste the pizza!
Old 11-16-2008, 02:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Placing bricks over the opening

I was puzzled by that part, too. Specially since everyone seems to be doing round arches these days.

Go to the photo gallery and do a search for my photos (there aren't that many) - once I'd figured out how to do the angle iron bit I tried to take some helpful shots for future builders. Check out the ones by gjbingham, too.

Helpful?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:31 AM
Apprentice

Frances,

Thank you for taking the picture. You took the smart route by cutting the lintle bricks, while I will have to do the labor intesive path of cutting the course bricks. I wish I'd thought of that... Thank you though, it gives me some great ideas.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Apprentice

OK - We did it this way (I'll post pictures soon): we made 2 45 degree cuts on either side of the center to remove a right angle piece. The half brick with the missing piece was then was placed on the lintle. This brought the bricks down to the proper height.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Um... I lost you after the "I'll post pictures soon" bit - so please do...

Old 11-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Apprentice

Frances, I posted them last night, just check out the newest ones. I'd love to hear your thoughts on our method!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:16 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Frances, I posted them last night, just check out the newest ones. I'd love to hear your thoughts on our method!
Hi Amber,

Where did you post the pictures?

Thanks,

Check out my build
Old 11-30-2008, 05:52 AM
Apprentice

Bill, they're in "dome and floor pictures" and right now they're on the first page.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Sorry, I missed this one. It looks like a very good solution, should hold up beautifully.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Apprentice

So far so good. We're on to the decorative arch now. Very exciting!