Old 07-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Laborer

Default Perlite Insulation Board

Hello,
I have a friend who has some of this at his work and I might be able to get some for a decent price. Would this be acceptable to use under the floor as my insulation board? The only other purpose I can think of to use it as would be for the door? Or do you think I should stick with whats recommended.....Thanks
Old 07-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Perlite Insulation Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlebla View Post
Hello,
I have a friend who has some of this at his work and I might be able to get some for a decent price. Would this be acceptable to use under the floor as my insulation board? The only other purpose I can think of to use it as would be for the door? Or do you think I should stick with whats recommended.....Thanks
I'd check around a bit about perlite insulation board - that's the roof insulation - right? I think it's made with some asphaltic compounds - so I don't know if it's appropriate to use as the insulating base for a wood fired oven. I also understand that there are some problems that have been reported with perlite insulation board and water absorption / retention - so do your homework . . .
Old 07-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Apprentice

I asked the same question years ago. It's mostly paper. Don't use it. There is some asphalt and a little perlite. It is not going to hold up to the weather and by no means the oven. Do you want to risk this stuff deteriorating and watch the structure fail?
For the door...asphalt side out....ok maybe...when it fails you can just toss it but you still have to burn off the asphalt side. Sooooo, just don't do it. I thought about it and rejected the same...I had acess to free perlite board
berryst

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Laborer

Thanks for the input. I'm not going to use it.