Old 03-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Apprentice

Default Pensacola Build

A while back I posted a thread in the Introduction section about my wish to build a WFO with an outdoor kitchen area. Until I found this site, the search was simply to find a better way to cook pizza. Like most, I became hooked and found a picture posted by James of an outdoor kitchen area. I decided to reverse engineer the photos to a set of plans. Living in hurricane country, I had to get professional engineering for the pergola. Between that and the permitting process, it took from October last year until a few weeks ago. I'm happy to say I've begun the build. It certainly couldn't have been done without the help I received from this site through posts and photos. I look forward to sharing the ups and downs of the build. I've finished the foundation and have received the 500 or so cinder blocks and 280 fire bricks. The first picture is of the "Anaheim Build" which my build is based on. The other pictures are of the foundation prep and pour. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Leigh
Attached Thumbnails
Pensacola Build-1_img_1763.jpg   Pensacola Build-082.jpg   Pensacola Build-088.jpg   Pensacola Build-003.jpg  
Old 03-10-2011, 05:52 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Pensacola Build

Looks like a good start. I'm usually similar in that I can't seem to imagine stuff on my own, but when I like something, I can work backwards.

Good luck!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Tman. I know what you mean about the creativity side of the brain, but the one thing I could imagine, is that kitchen by the pool. There will be some changes to the build, but essentially it'll be like the picture shown.
Leigh
Old 03-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Master Builder

Nice start. I find it quite interesting. It looks like you just played in your sand box and scratched out your footers. Did you use a little plastic bucket and shovel?

Where I live in Virginia you need heavy equipment.

I love the setting and your plans please keep us up to date on your project
Old 03-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Apprentice

Well Faith, you're not too far off. I did have the need of one piece of heavy equipment to remove the 450 sqft of turf (son-in-law). The soil here is of clay and sand which is great for drainage. If you remove the grass just enough to reach undisturbed soil, it's surprisingly compact. I did enjoy my sand box while it lasted. Now onto playing with rocks.
Leigh
Old 03-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Glad to see that you are past the bureaucratic stage and have moved on to ribbon cutting and ground breaking. You REALLY are undertaking a very beautiful and ambitious build. Don't let the city , county, and state regs get you down. You will get there soon enough with a fantastic outdoor kitchen.

RT
Old 03-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Apprentice

Thanks RT. Although the permitting was painful at times, it's reassuring to know the pergola structure won't end up on my roof or someone else's roof in a big blow. The engineering required was much more than I anticipated at the beginning. As you know, the regulations are a bit easier when the owner is the builder. Looking forward to it. Thanks again.
Leigh
Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Apprentice

Finally started laying out the cinder block for the oven stand and cabinet areas. The next step is to complete the four column block structures, frame the hearth slab and call for another load of concrete, about two yards. I hope to build the oven first, then work on the rest of the build.
Attached Thumbnails
Pensacola Build-007.jpg   Pensacola Build-006.jpg  
Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Pensacola Build

Looking good rodeair

So far, it looks like an ancient temple layout

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Journeyman

Wow that is no ordinary oven. I think you might need to call this your pizza palace. No turning back now. I am very excited to see your build.

Mike