Old 09-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Apprentice

Default The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii

I broke ground this weekend on what will be a 50" Pompeii oven for my friends that own The Painted Lady. See their website for more info on their fantastic restaurant, The Painted Lady Restaurant - Newberg, Oregon | Welcome

I put together a very quick sketch up model to help them see the vision. The entire facade will be covered in a custom mosaic that they are currently designing.

Also attached is a quick cad section that I am using to help me design an indispensable tool that is adjustable similar to Kebwi's tool. One detail that I am still trying to determine is what I want the dome profile to be. My goal/ necessity is to create a 50" diameter oven with an 18" high dome. In the attached image you can see that I am leaning towards a perfect elliptical dome with no soldier course of brick. Structurally I see this as being superior because the load distributes down better than the side loading you get with a tall soldier course. Opinions and suggestions would be much appreciated on this detail.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alans Oven I.pdf (76.3 KB, 312 views)
File Type: pdf Alans Oven II.pdf (75.1 KB, 276 views)
File Type: pdf 50inchOvenDetailSection Layout1 (1).pdf (10.7 KB, 304 views)
Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii

Quick shots of the space where the oven is going, the dig out was completed Saturday. Sunday I mixed poured and troweled out the foundation solo, because access was so bad and space is so limited.
Attached Thumbnails
The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-dscn7859.jpg   The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-dscn7862.jpg   The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-dscn7864.jpg   The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-dscn7867.jpg  
Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Isn't oregon really, really wet? I'm thinking a dome enclosure may be less than ideal in that case.

As far as no soldier course, you're preaching to the converted in my case. Especially with low domes, there is a lot of lateral force, and a soldier course just amplifies the sideways forces.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Apprentice

Rain is a concern here, but I have a lot of experience with elastomeric stucco finishes, Dryvit being my product of choice. And I know that it does well to weatherproof a structure. The biggest concern for me is forcing all the moisture out before applying the finish as these types of finish do not "breath" like a conventional cement stucco.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Journeyman

Personally I'm not a big fan of the elliptical dome. I think the profile you have their is pretty good but IMHO you still have a lot of lateral load and no easy way to support it. The only thing holding the oven together is the mortar. With a soldier course beveled on top to match the angle of the dome you can easily reinforce it with stainless steel cable wrapped around said soldier course. To me that is much more structurally sound. I certainly trust it a lot more then mortar.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
you can easily reinforce it with stainless steel cable wrapped around said soldier course.
How? There's a big opening on one side of the dome.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Journeyman

I went the simple way. I welded up a rectangular angle iron door frame and anchored the cable to that on both sides. DHS has a different but similar system on his low dome oven with pictures in the brick oven pictures forum. Lots of ways to bridge the gap just have to come up with one that works with your vent, opening and entryway style. Ideally you make the soldier height equal the door height, that makes it really easy but I know some don't want to built a dome that "aggressive".
Old 10-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Apprentice

Been busy and haven't had a chance to upload the last couple weeks worth of work. The next few posts will just be pics of process to current.
Attached Thumbnails
The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-dscn7891.jpg   The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-dscn7893.jpg   The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-dscn7901.jpg   The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-dscn7898.jpg  
Old 10-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Apprentice

The Oven Floor!
Attached Thumbnails
The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-dscn7902.jpg   The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-dscn7904.jpg   The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-dscn7905.jpg   The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-dscn7907.jpg  
Old 10-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

Hi,
Really cool ! I like the 3 sides and suspended concrete in front. My plan exactly.
How wide is the concrete hearth ?
thank you,
EatingMoreFood (Executive Chef)