Old 05-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Serf

Default Oven Build In Missouri

Well, I started building this oven last summer....I planned on finishing it last fall but I had an accident at work and got layed up for a few months....then the Missouri winter......I finally got back to it a few weeks ago.
I built the chimney last week. One morning I took a small log out of the wood stove and threw it in the oven. It drew well- which was a relief because I know my dimensions are off some.
I plan on raising the chinmey more and building the doorway out some. Other than that, I think the masonry is done.
I have a few questions on how to insulate the dome. I have a good supplier of fiber blanket in the area. If I Insulate the dome with 3" of FB do I still need to cover that with insulating cement or can I can I leave the FB 'exposed' but inside my enclosure.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Build In Missouri-oven.jpg  
Old 05-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven Build In Missouri

"can I leave the FB 'exposed' but inside my enclosure. "

Yes. It is best if it is secured in place somehow, such as loosely bound with some stainless steel wire. Also, ensure good drainage and ventilation for your enclosure, moisture in the insulation greatly reduces its effectiveness.

Last edited by Neil2; 05-06-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Journeyman

I would use the blanket and then just fill the enclosure with loose vermiculite to keep everything in place as well as extra insulation. Everyone says you can never have too much insulation. Vermiculite is not very expensive at a growing store. Just a thought.

Mike
Old 05-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Laborer

Here's hoping the completion of your dome is swift and the pizza is delicious.

Robert