Old 07-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Serf

Default Opinions needed on this Firebrick

Here is the spec shet from the company. Cemex has it locally in stock.
They are 2 1/4" thick x4 x9. $ 1.75 each

Specs say low duty I thought medium duty was prefered but that term can be subjective.

What do you all think?

http://www.wgpaver.com/firebrick_pdf...20-%20BUFF.pdf
Old 07-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Opinions needed on this Firebrick

27.6% alumina.....perfect. These will be fine. The duty rating refers to the wear, no need to spend extra $$ on medium duty. Many of us have used light duty (fireplace bricks in my case). You will have a bit of compensating to do because of the dimensions...I think we all have. Don't be concerned with the 2 1/4" thickness, mine are the same and my oven performs perfectly, although I have nothing to compare it to.

RT
Old 07-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Apprentice

SummerJ,

These are the same bricks I used in the buff color. I have used the oven a couple dozen times and they're performing great! I don't think I would want something with higher alumina content because I believe you'll burn the bottom of the first few pizzas until it the hearth cools down. I fire my oven up until the dome clears and then spread the coals for about a 30 minutes. Then I'll move the coals/fire to the left side of the oven and mop the floor with a damp mop to remove soot/ash. Then let the hearth cool for 15 minutes and I still slightly burn the bottom of the first couple pizzas before the top completely cooks. So the first few pizzas I let the bottom get close to burning and then hold the top near the dome. The toppings cook immediately near that dome!

~Bob

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Those bricks should be just fine!

@Pizza Bob. Do you have a nice flame going while cooking your pizzas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 07-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post

@Pizza Bob. Do you have a nice flame going while cooking your pizzas?
I usually keep a flame this size or slightly larger going throughout the pizza cooking. The most pizzas I have done is about 16 and I'm certain I could have kept that going. I never had to pull the coals back over the cooking area - I think it's insulated really well!

~Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions needed on this Firebrick-snow_5.jpg  

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!