Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Master Builder

Default Official - Show off your tools.

Your pizza oven tools that is.... Lets see those scrapers, shovels, brushes and handy tools you like to use when using your WFO. Lets see watcha got.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Official - Show off your tools.

Here are some that I have made and use. Note the stainless peel (my favourite) has sides that fit the perimeter of my 21" oven so I can move coals, a flat front, a point and a short handle which requires only one hand. Wooden peel from solid 19 mm pine.
My favourite tool, not shown, is a length of 8mm stainless pipe used to clean the floor, poke the fire and maintain flame if it dies.
Attached Thumbnails
Official - Show off your tools.-p1160081.jpg   Official - Show off your tools.-pa020038.jpg  

Last edited by david s; 03-28-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Master Builder

Great start and contribution, thanks David.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I can see this thread going 200+ pages...good one V-wiz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-29-2013, 05:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Here are some that I have made and use. Note the stainless peel (my favourite) has sides that fit the perimeter of my 21" oven so I can move coals, a flat front, a point and a short handle which requires only one hand. Wooden peel from solid 19 mm pine.
My favourite tool, not shown, is a length of 8mm stainless pipe used to clean the floor, poke the fire and maintain flame if it dies.
David, I have a good friend that has an architectural iron company, sometimes they work with stainless steel. He has some sheet stock and offered to cut some so I could make a peel..shape? An oval! But after seeing yours, I like the angle on the end..I image that it gives you nice control when turning pies or getting into the edges of the oven. Do you find this true?
I can't wait to make it..I have some nice oak for the handle that I need to cut down and shape.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 03-29-2013, 06:32 AM
Master Builder

My very first WFO tool........ A brand new wooded pizza peel (Birthday present compliments of mom and dad). Well made by Lillsun purchase from the FB site. I'm can't wait to put to use..........Need advice on caring for this tool seems like it would need to be seasoned with some type of oil or something........?????
Attached Thumbnails
Official - Show off your tools.-sspx0015.jpg  

KB

Old 03-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I can see this thread going 200+ pages...good one V-wiz.
Lets hope so, it may have potential.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
My very first WFO tool........ A brand new wooded pizza peel (Birthday present compliments of mom and dad). Well made by Lillsun purchase from the FB site. I'm can't wait to put to use..........Need advice on caring for this tool seems like it would need to be seasoned with some type of oil or something........?????
Here is a cool link to came across..it has some good info about care for cutting boards, chopping blocks etc,..peels need the same care. Look for the sub-heading 'How To Season Cutting Boards' halfway down.

Cutting Boards, Chopping Blocks, Butcher Blocks, Cutting Board Oil, Butcher Block Oil, How To Purchase Cutting Boards, How To Season Cutting Boards, Wood vs plastic cutting boards

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I sanded down one of my peels and applied butcher block wax (same stuff I use on my concrete counters). I couldn't believe the difference for 10 mins of effort.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
David, I have a good friend that has an architectural iron company, sometimes they work with stainless steel. He has some sheet stock and offered to cut some so I could make a peel..shape? An oval! But after seeing yours, I like the angle on the end..I image that it gives you nice control when turning pies or getting into the edges of the oven. Do you find this true?
I can't wait to make it..I have some nice oak for the handle that I need to cut down and shape.
Yeah, I'm really happy with the design. Tried it first in 0.9mm and it was a bit bit floppy. Now do it in 1.2 mm and it's just right. You would have to convert to your antiquated imperial system. I also sharpen the leading edge so the peel will slip under fresh pizza dough easily, although we usually prep on wooden peels and use the stainless one for turning and removal.