Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 09:08 AM
Peasant

Default Northwest PA 36" oven build

First off I would like to say how grateful I am for all the information on this site! First post for me but have been reading non-stop for the last few weeks.

My project started about a month ago by digging out a boat-load of soil to get ready for a patio pour.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Northwest PA 36" oven build

Great looking prep work!! Best of luck to you w/your build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 08-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Peasant

Then I poured the first of three pours of concrete. Not too bad for my first stenciled concrete job

Old 08-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Peasant

Then I poured the first of three pours of concrete. Not too bad for my first stenciled concrete job

Old 08-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Peasant

Next I dug four holes 18 inches in diameter and 4 feet down, filled the holes with about 1 foot gravel. Packed the gravel down and drove rebar into the ground and pored the support pillars for the oven.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Peasant

This next step is going to probably freak some people out. In order to speed up the build process I decided that instead of letting the pillars cure for a week then poring the hearth slab on top. I would pore the hearth slab on the ground at the same time and lift the slab once cured and place it on top of the pillars.

The hearth slab is 66" in diameter 3.5 inches thick with 1/2 inch rebar 10-12 inches in a grid along with screen welded in for good measure. I used 5000 psi mix with fiber

Old 08-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Peasant

Removing the outer form from the hearth slab.

And how the slab sits now. I have been keeping the slab wet for the last 3 days.

This is where I am on the build currently. Tomorrow I plan on hoisting the slab up with the help of 8-10 guys. By my calculations it should weight between 1000 and 1050 pounds. Should be doable but will definitely be interesting

Stay tuned as I am sure this will be interesting.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:06 AM
Peasant

Yesterday I managed to do the 2nd concrete pour. Getting very excited, our outdoor living space is starting to come together!

Old 08-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Peasant

Big day today. With the help of 10 other guys, we managed to lift the hearth slab on top of the pillars! Now the real fun can begin.

The slab ended up dead level. I think everyone was more shocked than I was. I set the slab in a 1/2 bed of type s mortar just to make sure we had nice even contact the whole way around the pillars.

Tomorrow I pour the vermiculite/portland cement insulation pad.
Gulf likes this.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Scott,

That is a very impressive oven build you have going there. To get that many able bodied friends, over at one time, (for work) I would have to cook something in advance. Or promise a pickup truck load of iced down beer . From the postures in the pic, it looks like ya'll were all glad that it was set. Were there any requests for liniment, or Preparation H? .

I don't know the soil conditions for yor area. I am sure that you do. In my area, it would help greatly to bell the bottom of the 18" holes.

Very nice faux brick stenciling. At first look, I thought that it was stamped.

Great job!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.