Old 09-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Serf

Default New Oven in Connecticut

Actually began the building process last Saturday, the 29th of August. The information gained on this website and in the forum is incredible. I find myself checking back and looking at pictures to make sure I am moving in the right direction. I think the beauty is in the fact that everyone brings their own ides to their build and i am sure that no twop ovens are exactly alike. I will be posting pictures in the next day or two.

JQ
Old 09-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: New Oven in Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmen4 View Post
I will be posting pictures in the next day or two.
Please do. We're not too good with werds around here.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Apprentice

JQ,
Congrats on the starting of your oven. We just got through with the top part of the enclosure and actually made our first pizzas last weekend. They were great and even better because they were made in an oven that my brother and I made. We are in CT as well and have several people around the corner from us that have ovens and we didn't even know it. FB is a fabulous source for everything you need. Everyone is indeed very helpful and willing to help out in every way.
G
Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Serf

Here is the first photos. I am actually buiding the base up so the wood storage area is roughly the same height as my deck. The concrete patio is existing, 5 inches thick with rebar and wire mesh. It was actually done by the previous homeowner about 12*years ago. My daughter thinks she should be in every picture.

JQ
Attached Thumbnails
New Oven in Connecticut-dsc_0120.jpg   New Oven in Connecticut-dsc_0125.jpg   New Oven in Connecticut-dsc_0122.jpg  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Serf

The first two levels of concrete block were mortared together to make the block level. The existing patio is sloped away from the house. Also drilled through the concrete patio to sink the rebar about two feet down. The second photo shows bringing the wood storage area up to the level of the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
New Oven in Connecticut-dsc_0127.jpg   New Oven in Connecticut-dsc_0144.jpg  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Serf

Beginning the formwork for the concrete hearth. I had filled every other core of the concrete block with concrete and rebar. I used two sheets of half inch HardieBacker to support the concrete hearth. The front of the hearth is cantilvered 8 inches out in the center to about two inches on either side. The last photo shows the 7 levels of concrete block, the first three brought it to deck height. The last photo is also a Where is Waldo photo.
Attached Thumbnails
New Oven in Connecticut-dsc_0093.jpg   New Oven in Connecticut-dsc_0094.jpg   New Oven in Connecticut-dsc_0096.jpg   New Oven in Connecticut-dsc_0100.jpg   New Oven in Connecticut-dsc_0101.jpg  

Old 09-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Serf

First photo is my father-in-law getting ready to start mixing concrete. Second photo shows the pour is almost done and my makeshift awning/cover. Third photo is for OSHA that all safety precautions were followed. After the pour covered the concrete with towels and wet them down. Will keep that up until this Saturday and I will remove the forms. Actually had pizza tonight and my wife commented that the local pizza place will be losing our business pretty soon, can't wait!
Attached Thumbnails
New Oven in Connecticut-dsc_0103.jpg   New Oven in Connecticut-dsc_0104.jpg   New Oven in Connecticut-dsc_0108.jpg  
Old 09-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Apprentice

WFO pizza is truly the best. noticed you have drybonded your block walls. Quicrete Quickall Surface Bonding cement is used for just this type of application. it is spread on the inside and outside of the block walls to bond everything in place and iliminates mortaring in the blocks. We used it for stucco and it is excellent. We got it at Lowes. It comes in 50lb bags and you use Acrylic fortifier. You may want to look into that. We got it in the Orange store because not all the stores carry it. Looks like your daughter wants you to finish quickly so she can have pizza every week.
G
Old 09-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Serf

Getting ready to lay out the 36 inch interior oven, couple of quick questions:

17 inch dome height, first soldier outside the floor with an angled cut
19 inch wide opening
11 inch high opening

Afe these dimensions okay??

JQ
Old 09-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgweeto View Post
. noticed you have drybonded your block walls. Quicrete Quickall Surface Bonding cement is used for just this type of application. it is spread on the inside and outside of the block walls to bond everything in place and iliminates mortaring in the blocks. We used it for stucco and it is excellent. We got it at Lowes. It comes in 50lb bags and you use Acrylic fortifier
I also used the surface bonding cement, loved it, I added the acrylic fortifier and color on the dome.... If you can Ice a cake you can use this stuff.. Looks like your doing a great jo so far and Inspector "daughter" is making sure of it

Good Luck and Enjoy
Mark