Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Serf

Default mortar washed out

Need some help from memebers. Had kept my oven covered in tarps all of last year and through the winter, due to surgery on hand was unable to complete. I removed the tarps about a month ago and some of my joints have had the mortar completely washed out. Water must have continuall follwed the joint path to wash it out. Heatstop 50 is not waterproof. Any way, my oven still stands was unsure of how to handle. decided to mix up more mortar and forced it into the open joints from the outside. Obviously in some places it has forced its way all the way through to the inside of the oven. in some places there is still no mortar between bricks. Any issues? Should I go inside and fix these joints? Need any info!
Old 07-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: mortar washed out

You might make a home brew mortar slurry and pour over your oven, allow to harden, make a thicker slurry and pour on to fill up crevices. Be sure to cover flooring with plastic sheeting and clean interior after each pour.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Serf

Thanks for the response. That is exactly what I did. the oven is solid. my only concern now is the inside joints where there is no mortar between bricks.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Apprentice

Redmen,

I was under the impression that heatstop was hydraulic, thus waterproof; that is, it doesn't 'dry', but 'cures', much like concrete. I would regrout as Laurentius suggested. Mix up some heatstop and smear it into the joints (inside and out) as best you can. Give it a week to cure, then cure your oven. Odds are it will be fine and produce great pizza

gene
Old 07-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: mortar washed out

Hi redmen4,
another option if you want to continue using the Heatstop product (or for that matter any mortar), you could use an empty silicone type cylinder and caulking gun to force your mortar into those narrow joints. You will need to remove the plunger using a rod and 'slightly reduce the viscosity' to make it work but I would not use too much water as this will reduce the strength and adhesion of home brew.
Good luck anyway, I'm sure it will work out!

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.