Old 10-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Serf

Default Mortar Choice

I am getting ready to lay my first course and wanted to check in on the options for mortar. I see the three choices that are offered in the plans and I purchased a high temp mortar called Fire Stop. The cost for a 50# bag Fire Stop is pretty step ($72) and I was hoping for a lower cost option, but I don't want to sacrifice quality. Any thoughts?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Mortar Choice

I wouldn't use any thing other than the home brew. At least mine has no cracks, unlike many others who use the expensive adhesives/mortars. It is the cheapest and in my opinion, the best (or only one to use).

Cheers

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Mortar Choice

I decided to use home brew because there was nothing available locally. I would use home brew again.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Serf

What is the make up of the "home brew"? Thanks
Old 10-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

1 part fireclay, 1 part portland cement, 1 part quicklime and 3 parts brickie sand.
Make sure that you thoroughly wet your bricks, (dunk them in a bucket of water for say 10 seconds), plaster the edges with a layer of home brew and tap the brick into place.

Check out my build, it's all in there!

Cheers.

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 10-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Serf

Thanks Neiil, I will assume that "brickie" sand is what we call "mason" sand. I think I will return the Fire Stop and go this route.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Apprentice

I purchased a premixed high heat mortar from a local supplier. It is made by harbison-walker, and is called #36 refractory mortar. But it was 92 a bucket, and after 2 bucket, funds ran low. I posted a question on here, and got the same responses, so I purchased the stuff for homebrew. It cost me about 20 bucks, and I think I could make 2 ovens from that purchase. I must say that I am impressed with the homebrew. Easy to work with, and dries up real good. I have a hot plate set a 200 in my oven now to take out any moisture. Also, I put about 1 inch of cladding (same homebrew mix) on the outside of my oven. I would use this if I were you.

Good Luck.

Tom
Old 10-13-2010, 05:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks tom for the back-up!
I really can't see the value of high temp refractory cements for most of these home built ovens. What Dmun has done with his oven, you have no other option to go with the expensive material, but for most other applications, homebrew is the way to go!

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway