Old 02-08-2010, 03:05 AM
Serf

Default Minimum oven size - advice please

I have finally decided to build what I need to simply bake a few pizzas in the evening at home - as close as possible to the low dome Napoli type. But space is an issue for me, and I was wondering what experience people out there who have made their ovens have with the minumum dome width? I was hoping to go down to 27 inches/ 68 cm.

1. What is the minimum practical size I can get away with for baking one pizza at a time?

2. Refractory clay moulded on sand or bricks cut into thirds for the construction?

I noticed that Forno Bravo make ovens smaller than 30 inches, but is there space for the embers as well in those, or are they for non-Napoli pizzas?

If anyone can help with this, I would appreciate it lots!

John
Old 02-08-2010, 04:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Minimum oven size - advice please

Look at thread "32" big enough."
Old 02-08-2010, 09:35 AM

Link for above mentioned thread (32" Oven Big enough?)

I sure wouldn't make an oven that small, or out of clay for that matter. There are people who have tiny ovens, but I don't know what they do with them. Superior Clay makes a 24" modular oven. For what? cupcakes?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I made a 36", one of the smallest on FB. I'm not quite cooking in yet (next week maybe!!!). Remember that you need more room than for just the food because for several things (namely pizza) it's nice to keep the fire going while you're cooking, so you want room for a fire on one side and a pizza or two on the other. I wouldn't go much smaller than the low thirties (of inches).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Serf

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting about the size and what do people do with those ovens. It was those people who I was hoping would post an answer on this thread.

As for the clay, my mistake, I meant to say refractory mortar. I just need an oven thats heats up super fast, and then allows me to bake a few pizzas. So I imagine that residual heat is not so important if I have a good fire going for a short time... Not sure.

Oh, and and I have just found in that link above, david s seems to like his 21'' oven! I might talk to him about his technique with the position of his embers during baking.

John
Old 02-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Apprentice

My inside diameter is 40" and it is a good size. I don't clean out the coals after every use so it affords me a little extra room for coals. I also like being able to cook entire meals in the oven. My WFO is insulated well enough to cook in it for a couple of days after the pizza firing, and I like taking advantage of the heat.
Attached Thumbnails
Minimum oven size - advice please-img_1760.jpg   Minimum oven size - advice please-m_img_0735.jpg  
Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Peasant

Hi, It's a long time ago I know. but did you have any luck finding the smallest practical size for an oven? I am about to start building a small oven.
Cheers
Nick
Old 04-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Go to the Newbie Section under Forno Bravo Treasures by Lburou. There is a link on this thread called Gene's small oven (28"), that's pretty small.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Serf

since ther start of the thread, a long time ago, I have gained a little more experience myself. What I have found is that people are managing with all sorts of sizes, from the minimum sizes quoted in this list.

What I have found is that it all depends on what you want to do. If you are happy to struggle with the wood burning, giving off lots of heat, and maybe burning the edge of pizzas easily. If you are happy to make small pizzas. If you are happy to keep careful eye on whats going on. Then a smaller size will be OK.

As for me, I upsized, and I like the 'freedom' it has given me to be more flexible with what I want to do. I can focus on doing other things right.
John
Old 04-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My oven is 21" internal diam. I find it adequate and for cooking pizzas for up to 30 people it's a breeze to do 90 sec pizzas. A small oven is easier and cheaper to build. You tend to use it more often and fuel consumption is really low.