Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Laborer

Default Michael's 42in Pompeii Oven, Sydney Australia.

Hi everyone,

I've just started building my oven and have decided to post a thread for those interested.

In Summary it will be a corner design 42 inch oven, with an outdoor kitchen design next to it.

Let me say thanks to all who have shared their advice and photos. I will post them as I get going. I have spent many weeks drawing and designing the backyard with my wife, and now am ready to build.

Hope you enjoy...

Michael.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Michael's 42in Pompeii Oven, Sydney Australia.

Welcome and post some pictures as soon as you can. We always like to see how others build their ovens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Apprentice

Michael,

Welcome I am sure that you will have fun along the way! Have far have you got with your build?

Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
(Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)
Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Laborer

First thing was to remove a an outdoor garden bed. Total was 2 tonnes of soil, 1 tonne of bricks. Lucky for me I had a 15 year old to help me. (he belongs to my mate).

My formwork was old timber floor boards, so they don't look that great...however I figured they would do for something i'll never see again.

I reinforced it with 12mm rebar and wire mesh, more towards the bottom of the slab.

I kept it covered under plastic so it remained damp for 3-4 days.

Turned out to be flat, level and cured nicely. Next step is the besser blocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Michael's 42in Pompeii Oven, Sydney Australia.-dsc02562.jpg   Michael's 42in Pompeii Oven, Sydney Australia.-dsc02572.jpg   Michael's 42in Pompeii Oven, Sydney Australia.-dsc02573.jpg   Michael's 42in Pompeii Oven, Sydney Australia.-dsc02576.jpg   Michael's 42in Pompeii Oven, Sydney Australia.-dsc02577.jpg  

Last edited by MikeyMann; 10-21-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Laborer

Hey great start Michael. You and I will be going side by side as I have also just poured the slab for my outdoor kitchen, including footings for my oven.
Good luck with it mate!
Paul
Old 10-22-2009, 05:18 AM
Apprentice

Michael,

Congratulations on the start
Let the fun begin!
Old 10-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Peasant

should use formblocks....you can buy them from adbri masonry.

just look here Formblock® by Global Building Systems they are mortarless and ya just pour concrete into them. they have plastic bridges in them that hold the blocks togeather and also hold the steel in place. DONT be fooled by other blocks that are mortarless these move when you pour concrete into them.

I used them on my build & on other jobs I have done since them IE retaining walls etc. & they are the bomb. if your slab is as level as you say it is then you should be able to just lay them on the slab & use the plastic wedge that comes with the bridge to level it up b4 you start the next course.

Well worth it.

Good luck
Old 10-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Laborer

thanks for the tip mate... but unfortunately we are about 2 hours late for this... as I speak there is a crane truck delivering a full palette of blocks. Got them for a good price.. $2.84 per block. Many landscaping places charge $3.50 + for a block.

But anyways... this sunday I start the blocks and hearth slab. Ready for a longgggg day....

cheers...

M
Old 10-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Laborer

OK, so after a crazy weekend of earth moving, bricklaying and deciding how to deal with the 30 minute DELUGE of rain (3 inches in 30 mins... !!!) I managed to get the following done:

Moved 3 tonnes of soil and bricks into the skip bin to make way in the yard.

I laid the foundation blocks, only to discover that my concrete slab wasn't as flat as I wanted. Notice in the picture how one block is obviously leaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Michael's 42in Pompeii Oven, Sydney Australia.-dsc02582.jpg   Michael's 42in Pompeii Oven, Sydney Australia.-dsc02583.jpg  
Old 10-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Laborer

My solution was to lay a bed of strong mortar (2:1 sand/cement). After spending much time with the spirit level, the first course was level and plumb.

Incidentally, I seem to have a visitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Michael's 42in Pompeii Oven, Sydney Australia.-dsc02586.jpg   Michael's 42in Pompeii Oven, Sydney Australia.-dsc02590.jpg