Old 09-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Serf

Default Lotsa Brick

I've got a lot of used brick here. Will be staring my base soon. But I'm looking for suggestions on how to incorporate these used brick into my final oven plans. Also I probably won't get to my oven itself till winter. Is that a problem for curing? I live in Sacramento so winters if you call it that are very mild with an occasional freeze. Thanks for the input...Troy
Attached Thumbnails
Lotsa Brick-photo.jpg  
Old 09-10-2011, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Lotsa Brick

Portland cement mortars shouldn't be used below 40 degrees F., including the curing period. Also, masonry work is not fun in near freezing weather. Some builders have built heated enclosures for winter work, but if it were me, I'd wait for warmer weather.

I can't tell much about your brick from the photo of the pile. Almost any brick will make a more attractive stand/enclosure than concrete block and stucco in my opinion.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Serf

Thanks Dmun ... Here is a couple more photos of the brick they are a full 9x4.5x 2.5 inches they range from pink to yellow and in between.
Attached Thumbnails
Lotsa Brick-photo.jpg   Lotsa Brick-brick.jpg  

Last edited by troymac; 09-10-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Addional Photo
Old 09-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It would be better if the imprint said, iBrick.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE=dmun;120423]Portland cement mortars shouldn't be used below 40 degrees F., including the curing period.

what kind of mortar should be used then?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:16 AM

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. Freezing is way bad for wet masonry. You don't want to do your build when there's even a chance of it.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

So presumably it is the water content in the mortar rather than the type of cement used that is the problem?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Serf

Troymac, did you happen to get those bricks by taking down a chimney and fireplace? I'm in Sacramento myself, Citrus Heights actually, and we removed our fireplace and chimney. The bricks look a lot like those in the picture, sort of salmon colored and longer than most bricks. We've used the bricks so far mostly to make paths in the backyard, but I am gathering info for a wfo build. At any rate, good luck with your project and keep us posted.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Serf

No got them awhile ago at Hc Muddox. They were used from an old building in Ione.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Journeyman

I would start now, because you might not finish by this winter. It takes longer than you think. But you should be fine in Sacramento. If you need to you could always cover it with a blanket if there is a freeze. But keep it dry, don't let it get wet mid project.

Mike